Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Florence and Morgen Lakes  (Read 2179 times)

steeleagle

Florence and Morgen Lakes
« on: May 15, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »

Has anyone had any kind of success on these lakes this season? The water is super clear and the really deep and cold, but there is fish, are they just spooky fish?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 06:31:34 PM by steeleagle »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Florence and Morgen Lakes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »

As I understand it those two lakes were stocked with eastern brookies years ago. I can tell you from the experience of a few persons I know, the Brookies are still there.

Brookies are different than rainbow or cutties in that they like to school up, so when you find one, you will find many. Also I have often found them every close to shore (when not disturbed within two feet) in shallow water. They tend to like thick weed cover or structure like docks, and log jams. Often more time is spent hunting them down than fishing for them. They can also be moody feeders; you can spend hours flogging the water and swearing there is not a fish in the lake, then within minutes the whole lake is alive with aggressively feeding fish. Don't let all this discourage you though because when it all comes together they are one fantastic dry fly fish. 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"