Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Great Flood 2021  (Read 26497 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: The Great Flood 2021
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2021, 08:00:01 AM »

a lot of risks to build on flood plain.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2021, 08:42:01 AM »

I very much admired Quebec Premier LeGault's comment 1n 2019 that flood victims in the Gatineau area should move out of the flood plain where they had recently been flooded out twice in 2 years. To that end they offered no more than $100g for flood relief but $200g if they agreed to move. IMO Cities, Regional governments etc have been irresponsible in developing flood plain areas as have individuals and business in moving there. Invariably senior governments end up footing much of the bill for flood relief damage as people are either under insured or insurance companies cry the blues about defaulting The apparent increase in extreme weather events will accelerate this problem.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/gatineau-floods-ottawa-francois-legault-1.5106522

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebec-homeowners-say-200k-offer-to-relocate-from-flood-prone-areas-not-enough-1.4391692

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2021, 08:43:58 AM »

I very much admired Quebec Premier LeGault's comment 1n 2019 that flood victims in the Gatineau area should move out of the flood plain where they had recently been flooded out twice in 2 years. To that end they offered no more than $100g for flood relief but $200g if they agreed to move. IMO Cities, Regional governments etc have been irresponsible in developing flood plain areas as have individuals and business in moving there. Invariably senior governments end up footing much of the bill for flood relief damage as people are either under insured or insurance companies cry the blues about defaulting The apparent increase in extreme weather events will accelerate this problem.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/gatineau-floods-ottawa-francois-legault-1.5106522

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebec-homeowners-say-200k-offer-to-relocate-from-flood-prone-areas-not-enough-1.4391692

on the radio this morning they were are talking about building up the infrastructure not abandoning it, wonder what that means for fish areas going forward.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2021, 09:06:18 AM »

So the Squamish Pinks were already low receives another blow from this storm?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2021, 09:10:28 AM »

So the Squamish Pinks were already low receives another blow from this storm?

reading though some old dfo reports on streams from like the 1970. Lots of the notes are like: stream silted out do to logging 70% egg loss. Was that just a wild my friend guess or is some of this stuff quantifiable. I do not know.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2021, 09:25:17 AM »

It's too bad all those properties on Wilson Road are affected. I don't think you can even get flood insurance for those properties.  Most Insurance companies won't want to take such a risk.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2021, 09:49:52 AM »

It's too bad all those properties on Wilson Road are affected. I don't think you can even get flood insurance for those properties.  Most Insurance companies won't want to take such a risk.

had to show my bank proof on insurance before i could get a mortgage.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2021, 09:55:56 AM »

had to show my bank proof on insurance before i could get a mortgage.
Insurance companies will sell fire insurance to just above everybody, but not flood insurance on properties below on flood planes.  Hmm, may be I should sell some of my Insurance stocks  ::)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2021, 10:22:22 AM »

Insurance companies will sell fire insurance to just above everybody, but not flood insurance on properties below on flood planes.  Hmm, may be I should sell some of my Insurance stocks  ::)

fare enough i dont no what the banks are looking for in the insurance but i would think that if someone has a huge mortgage in a floodplain that they would not want to be left holding the bag on an unsellable property.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2021, 10:44:59 AM »

So what... If they continue to let people trespass and shat in their yard or harrass their dog, this wouldn't have happened? 🤨

Going back to that real estate video posted earlier, the first comment left in there mentions the names of the owners. I don't think the house was ever sold. This very likely is someone's entire saving, dream at one point but shattered by the ongoing harrassment. Nobody should be pleased with the outcome.

Edit: Just looked up the names. It's young couple with a little kid. House was listed for $1.5 million. I really hope this does not mean a total financial loss for the family.

That wasn't my intention other to point out that the saying fit rather uniquely in this case.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »

The Abbotsford portion of Sumas Prairie may flood - after all it's a drained lake bed.

its back to being a lake

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2021, 12:46:08 PM »

Some pictures from BC Transportation flyover

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/albums/72157720143417483

wagz

• Can"t get enough!!
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2021, 01:16:17 PM »

Damn! :'(

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2021, 01:52:40 PM »

one thing i did not hear being bought up is invasive species, wonder how this will spread them out.