Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Great Flood 2021  (Read 26496 times)

243Pete

Re: The Great Flood 2021
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 04:47:51 PM »

Sigh... the last time I remember the Vedder being this high I made a bit of a prediction that it will destroy a lot of the spawned chum eggs and this was back in 2016-2017 I believe. Chris had a video of a giant log jam moving down river and that was very concerning for me.

As for other systems... Stave is so high that the bridge that goes across the spawning channel is covered in water and the floats at the damn (The big yellow ones) have broken free and are strewn across the main channel.

Phronesis

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 06:02:38 PM »

Does anyone one know how it impacted salmon back when it flooded in 2006? Im wondering what the salmon numbers trend was like after 2006 ?

geomorphin

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 06:26:55 PM »

It looks pretty gnarly out there but there's been lots of floods bigger than this since 1970 and the fish have found ways in the past.
Here are the max flows per year here: https://imgur.com/ln0WS5z  (Most of these are in the fall as well) 

This is why it's important to not cut off all the back/side channels since it's critical salmon habitat.  We have a nasty habit of wanting to straighten out rivers and lock them into place. Floods like this are important reminders for why rivers must be allowed to move laterally. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 07:04:46 PM »

certainly true that the salmon do bounce back from these big flood events. It may have an effect at the end of the brood cycle when the adults come back but nature has many compensating features that allow for quick rebuilding of the population. I can't remember what year it was but there was a year maybe 20+ years ago with a big flood and it was thought to have all but wiped out the pink spawn. fishing was closed in the following return but 2 years after that there was another strong return. Some of that may be do to fish from the Fraser that moved into the V-C to spawn, hard to say but the dip didn't last long.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 07:11:24 PM »

Nice graph there, looks like 2006 was worst, Good to hear that Salmon does bounce back quickly! Certainly got to know the critical importance of these side channels

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 07:52:36 PM »

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23275937/4298-wilson-road-chilliwack

Yup same house
https://youtu.be/uG_n2Dz0NZQ

so the lady and guy throwing rocks at fisherman (from the riprap) managed to sell her house before the flood? 

https://youtu.be/QdbIZ5Gs9Fs
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 08:07:56 PM by dennisK »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2021, 08:10:27 PM »

so the lady and guy throwing rocks at fisherman (from the riprap) managed to sell her house before the flood? 

https://youtu.be/QdbIZ5Gs9Fs

A video tells a story, but it doesn't always show the truth. Who knows what went on before and after it, I hope none of us feel like we are in a place to judge and wish having their house washed away is what they deserved.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2021, 09:12:12 PM »

I mean there is that saying about Thoes in glass housing throwing stones.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2021, 09:50:38 PM »

Everyone involved knows who the boss is now... the river.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 10:07:09 PM »

A video tells a story, but it doesn't always show the truth. Who knows what went on before and after it, I hope none of us feel like we are in a place to judge and wish having their house washed away is what they deserved.

well said Rodney
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 10:18:06 PM »

I mean there is that saying about Thoes in glass housing throwing stones.

So what... If they continue to let people trespass and shat in their yard or harrass their dog, this wouldn't have happened? 🤨

Going back to that real estate video posted earlier, the first comment left in there mentions the names of the owners. I don't think the house was ever sold. This very likely is someone's entire saving, dream at one point but shattered by the ongoing harrassment. Nobody should be pleased with the outcome.

Edit: Just looked up the names. It's young couple with a little kid. House was listed for $1.5 million. I really hope this does not mean a total financial loss for the family.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:19:46 PM by Rodney »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 10:20:47 PM »

Here is a photo of the foot bridge over the spawning channel at Stave.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2021, 11:59:19 PM »

According to FVRD, the Wilson Road dyke is 900m long and protects 20 properties and the Chilliwack River Road. While the photo shows one property, there are also many other families and homes impacted.

It’s hard to imagine the forces at play of almost an additional 3 metres of water and debris colliding head on with that massive rip rap dyke.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2021, 12:04:23 AM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2021, 06:12:26 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ZZdsBpfTk

Another testament to just how strong rivers and the forces of nature can be. We have a fun century ahead folks. Enjoy your massive carbon machines and lifestyle while you can. 

sorry I thought that was Peers creek - but it's Carolyn mines Sowqua Creek.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 06:19:37 AM by RalphH »