Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Fishing  (Read 8725 times)

RG

Re: Squamish Fishing
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »

Canadian tire has few different air horns to choose from, louder the better!

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 10:31:18 AM »

Yeah, I'm actually gonna be picking up bear spray and air horns later this week before I head up.  Are bears really common even in the lower portion?  

I've lived in Squamish 25+ years and their are indeed more bears around the rivers this year due to the large pink run. Most are blacks but there are grizzlies in the valley as well and they can be on the lower rivers but generally are on the west side of the valley. You can run into grizzlies on the Cheakamus as well but they are generally nocturnal. As for bear spray, I never carry it. Not overly worried about them but then again I'm not from the city so the bush doesn't scare me :D

HKSR

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »

Well, I'm looking to head up to Squamish again.  What kinda fishing can I be looking for in April or May?  I'll probably stick to lower Squamish river and/or surrounding lakes.  Any advice? :)

firebird

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »

Keep an eye on the stocking reports http://www.gofishbc.com/fish-stocking-reports/recent-fish-releases.aspx

Browning Lake, Alice Lake Park lakes (Alice, Stump and Edith) and Brohm Lake should receive fish sometime within the next couple of months.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »

The lakes around Squamish are usually stocked in the third week of April, depending on how fast the weather is warming up.

Squamish River and tributaries now offer fishing for steelhead, rainbow trout, cutthroat trout and bull trout. Total catch and release applies to all these species, a bait ban is in effect. Steelhead return on the Squamish is a lot less than the Chilliwack, but fishing pressure is also a lot less. For trout and char, small lures or fry patterns if fly fishing work well as they are now feeding on juvenile salmon.

HKSR

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »

Are there particular colors that work better than others for the river?  Would spoons and spinners work ok?

TyCrane

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »

i've only ever fished the cheakamus but spoons and spinners should work pretty well for you, ive had some pretty good success up there with croc spoons. also drifting rubber egg imitations with a little wool, or a smaller pink worm have produced both bull trout and steelhead for me before. a lot of your success will depend on the water level and clarity of the river when you're up there

good luck!

HKSR

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »

Thanks for the tips guys.  My fiance said she might not have time to go until the May (Victoria Day) long weekend.  Is there anything worthwhile at that point in the river?  I'm guessing it'd be best to stick to the lakes by then?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 10:41:38 AM »

By that time (depending on how warm it is), the river will be experiencing freshet and not really fishable. Your options are definitely better at the lakes, or you can head up to Whistler, rent a canoe at Alta Lake for some good rainbow and cutthroat trout fishing.

HKSR

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »

Looks like we're heading up April 13th - 15th :)  I'll try and help do a pre-clean of the river before the masses head up the following weekend for the Squamish River Clean-Up lol.

Any last minute tips or tactics for fishing the river would be great!  ;D

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »

Any last minute tips or tactics for fishing the river would be great!  ;D
[/quote]

Florocarbon, small presentations..