Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 80lb braided line spooled on a Penn Fierce II 8000 Spinning Reel and 9' MH Rod!?  (Read 5439 times)

Archer

Is this OK or insanely accessive?

My dad had a Cabela's gift card for a retirement gift, so we went there to get him set up for "retirement fishing". We choose a 9' medium heavy spinning rod with matching Penn Fierce 8000 reel. This reel is a 50lb braid max.

All Cabela's had for bulk braid was 80lb. I only noticed this after the guy spooled it, and had to ask isn't that way over kill for the rod/reel and for targeting Coho and Spring on the Vedder?

He assured me it's ok!? And I had my dad pick up a 12lb leader spool.

It is just not sitting well with me. He didn't charge for it, but I still think this is nuts!?

Looking for opinions. Will it be OK for float fishing the vedder as long as he uses the 12lb leader?

Or is this a huge no, scrap it and go to Fred's?

Just not sitting well with me...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:34:49 PM by Archer »

bobby b

The reel and the line sound like waaaaay overkill to me.
 That, (IMO) is a heavy reel ( 28.4 OZ )   

Archer

Ya, it is heavy, but would be good on a nook.  I just wonder if the 80lb line will hinder the chance of catching a fish.  I guess he can give it a whirl, and see how it goes. 

Will work good for bar rigging.  It's the float fishing on the Vedder I worry about.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer

Good news: He has a good enough fishing set up and can get out on the river and get into some fish. It is true that the fish don't care what type of rod, reel, line, etc you have. As long as some type of bait/lure is presented decently (appropriate depth, suitable size and color, etc) and a fish swims past it, chances are they will hammer it. Looking backl to when I started out river fishing I can tell you that my gear was NOT that well suited for the Vedder, but I made it work and even caught some fish! So yeah, don't sweat it, just get out and fish what you have. Can always upgrade later.

Bad news:

-Spinning reel set ups are not that well suited for float fishing. Better suited for casting something out (spinner or spoon) and reeling it back in. Of course you CAN float fish with a spinning reel, it's just hard to open the bail and get a nice smooth drift on your float, then when you float goes down quickly close the bail and set the hook. This is much more easily acclomplished with a bait casting (level wind) reel and rod. Or, a centerpin reel/rod (generally not the best idea for a beginner to buy).

-This is a pretty heavy set up for coho. Maybe ok if you hook into a big spring or chum. The rod, reel, line will be a bit overpowering on smaller salmon. Also the set up will be a bit heavy to hold all day, cast, reel in, could lead to some tierd arms.

-With that powerful rod, and braid with no stretch, all lot of "shock" (in search for a better term) gets transferred to that 12lb leader. You run the risk of snapping off fish. However if you go to too heavy a leader, say 15lb, the fish can see it more easily and are less likely to bite your offering.

Here is what I would do it it were my rod/reel: For float fishing tie the braid right to your swivel (float and lead above swivel obviously) and run a 12lb mono leader. If I keep snapping off fish go to 15lb leader. Also try and toss some spoons and spinners with the rod, however tie the braid to a barrel swivel, then 3 ft or so mono leader of that. Not so important if the water is dirty, but if it is clear I believe that braid is too close to the lure and the fish will se it and not like it (spook them).

FYI the typical entry level float fishing set up for the Vedder is something like this:

10"6 baitcasting rod. Somewhere in the 8-17 line rating (I like) or 12-25 line rating (a bit more beef).
Level wind reel (Abu 6500 or whatever)
15-20 lb mono mainline.
8-12lb leader

So, in conclusion, I think the guy a Cabelas didn't really know what he was talking about! But, like I said, don't sweat it, just get out and fish the set up and if you don't like it save it for a more appropriate fishery (say the Fraser) and invest in a new baitcasting set up for float fishing. Final warning, if you have never used a baitcaster there IS a learning curve!!! Some birds nests are bound to happen and frustration is inevitable. However, most things that are worthwhile learning are not easy, and learning to use a level wind adeptly is no exception.

Archer

Thank you spawn sac.

I will show my dad how to tie a vedder float rig.

I tried to talk him into a set up like mine (medium 10'6 rod, Abu Garcia C3) but I fear my dad will pack it in after the second backlash, with the wrong impression.

Like your good advice, I will take him out and show him the Vedder and go to spots. 

The combo he has will work really well for bar fishing when the FR reopens.  It will have plenty of backbone to huck led far 😃

When he uses my level wind when drifting he will see how much more convenient it is for precision casts and letting it spool down river!! 

He wants to get into fly fishing too as the next step. I am proud he is doing this to keep active!  I have zero fly experience, but he lives in Abbotsford so I told him to get into Fred's and they can help from there, and he can get into some workshops.  I with I was retired and could join...but I have another 20-30 years to go.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Sorry why do you need to be retired to join him???
Make every effort to Get your butt in there man some of my fondest memories with my old man involve fishing.

DanL

• Old Timer

nothing wrong with using braided line but 80lb is much heavier than you need and will limit casting distance if you decide to try spoons/spinners/jigs which is what spinning outfits are ideal for. And you'll have an interesting time if you need to break off such a heavy line on a snag, which will happen eventually. Really, aside from the fact that you already have have it now, there is really no benefit for such a heavy line for the C/V fishery.

I tried to talk him into a set up like mine (medium 10'6 rod, Abu Garcia C3) but I fear my dad will pack it in after the second backlash, with the wrong impression.

When he uses my level wind when drifting he will see how much more convenient it is for precision casts and letting it spool down river!! 

If his intention is to specifically float fish the vedder, then at some point he really should get into some sort of levelwind/centerpin setup. Showing him the benefits on the river and letting him try out your rig is a great way to demonstrate the advantages. When starting out, tighten up whatever cast control the reel has so its a bit more forgiving to backlashes

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer

Archer, no probs man. Sounds like your plan will work out.

I think a lot of ppl buy a level wind and use it without bothering to read the manual and figure out how to get it set up right for the amount of weight they are chucking. If the reel is not "set up" it will likely cast like crap and backlash. Reading the manual and practicing at a park or whatever with just a small weight is a good idea before you hit the river with your new reel and new to the level wind scene, everyone is catching fish, and you are on shore swearing picking out another backlash! Been there!!

The spool tension must be adjusted right, and if it has break weights (my shimano reels do, Abu reels do not I think) the right number MUST be engaged to cast decently. Too few weights and it will backlash, too many and your casting distance will suffer big time. This is all outlined in the manual.

I think a good idea would be to let him cast your level wind (assuming it is set up well). Chances are he will like it and want one. I have a friend who was 100% anti level wind. He would say things like all they do is backlash....too many settings....they suck....blah blah. Then last year we were shore fishing and he saw what a good time I was having with my drifts and hook sets and so, and he was having a pain of a time trying to flip his bail over and set the hook etc.

I convinced him to switch me rods. I just helped him at first and showed him how to lob the cast, lightly thumb the spool, how to free spool and set the hook, and so on. After a dozen or so casts he had the hang of it. I fished his rod for an hour or so and still caught fish, but man what an extra pain to float fish with a spinning reel!! Eventually he did not want to switch me back!! He liked the set up so much he went out and bought the same rod and reel.

Also ppl find with the longer float rod (10"6 or whatever) it is longer than a spinning rod (duh) so you can keep your line off the water more when your float is drifting downstream. This is important as you get a more natural (catch more fish!) drift when your line is not on the water pulling your gear in an unnatural way. Plus, when you go to set the hook with a shorter 9 foot rod you often have to pull the line of the water first, and often miss the fish. Whereas with the longer 10"6ish rod you will usually be able to set the hook which will immediately tack the hook point into the fishes mouth.

Spinning set ups are great for casting lures and beefy set ups for bar fishing. However for float fishing a level wind or centerpin set up is simply a wayyyy better tool for the job.

However like I said before I would just have him fish what he has for now. It'll still catch fish! Plus down the road when he gets  alevel wind he'll appreciate it a lot more.

Archer

Sorry why do you need to be retired to join him???
Make every effort to Get your butt in there man some of my fondest memories with my old man involve fishing.

Oh ya, don't get me wrong. I will go any chance I get!!

But I am 37 with a FT job, wife and two elementary school age children, so it's not always easy to get out there.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Oh ya, don't get me wrong. I will go any chance I get!!

But I am 37 with a FT job, wife and two elementary school age children, so it's not always easy to get out there.

I hear ya bud. Sounds like our lives are running the same course. Just the way it came across to me I guess. One of the best decisions I ever made was switching to career with a 4 on 4 off schedule.