Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rods & Reels  (Read 2410 times)

sassygrams

Rods & Reels
« on: August 26, 2010, 07:45:47 AM »

Hi,
I have a bait casting reel and rod, although my reel doesn't work so well.  I was wondering if I can use the same rod with a centre pin reel?  I haven't used one before but thought I would like to learn.
If someone can let me know, that would be great :)
Thank you,
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Rods & Reels
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:15:10 AM »

having a long rod helps in casting a center pin so you loose a lot of rod with the handle confirguation of a baitcaster.  I know the east coast fishermen use 13 foot noodle rods an those have more of a baitcast handle configuration but they have the extra length. 

Also a lot of baitcasters have a trigger...thats the biggest obstacle.  If your rod has a trigger, I'd say no to using that rod with a pin.  I think pretty much everyone hold a pin the same: pointer and middle finger hold the rods and ring and little finger slip down and constroll the spool.  You hand is right over the center of the reel and if the trigger is there, you wont be able to hold the rod well.

Brian

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:39 AM »

most 'pin rods have an up-locking reel seat, and have the reel closer to the end of the grip than a baitcaster, which often has a down-locking reel seat and a trigger.

Yes you can, but 'pin casting is tricky to figure out, you're better off getting an inexpensive 'pin rod to start, like a trophy XL or whatever in the 11' length range.  Much easier to figure out casting.  That, and get somebody to show you lol.

jon5hill

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »

Usually level-wind configured rods have the reel seat sitting higher up the blank than is useful for center-pin fishing. The reason it is useful to have the reel seat lower on the blank (closer to the butt) is because while casting the rod you need space around your hip to avoid connecting with yourself. Casting with a center pin and level-wind are markedly different in their mechanics, so the extra space yielded by having the reel closer to the butt section enables you to cast without any impedance. There are number of options available by most manufacturers that are specifically for the center pin reel. You can spend anywhere from 100 to 800 dollars on one of these rods, or even more if you opt to use a switch spey rod and convert it or get a professional rod builder to build you a custom one. Generally speaking, center pin rods are a lot more flexible and sensitive as well, which is nice when fishing for coho or steelies in slower moving water as the play on the rod is absolutely phenomenal by comparison to a stiffer option.

Good luck in finding a rod,

Jon

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:53:33 AM »

As others have noted, it is certainly doable but you won't get the total experience like you would with a centerpin rod.

prairiefire

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 12:48:46 PM »

I would definitely go for a centerpin rod over a baitcaster. I know someone suggested Trophy Xl as an option but I would also look at Amundson. I have one teamed up with a Campbell reel. You could also look at getting a used "starter" outfit. Check the buy&sell section here during the fall. I've seen a few go for a decent price.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

sassygrams

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:22:36 AM »

Thank you for all your suggestions - I will look at a rod and reel then and perhaps keep my bait casting rod and look for another reel - mine seems to be hooped.
Tight line everyone.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

fish bonk

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »

You can do it but it is like "Riding a horse side saddle" ;D