Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 2nd 2008  (Read 6267 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Chilliwack River, October 2nd 2008
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:53:59 PM »

Had a day off work again, so figured that I wouyld head out fishin' in the rain.... one problem.  It didn't start raining till I was on my way home.  Fished lower river and mid river, got a couple fish one on roe and one on a wool tie.  Might be able to make it back out tomorrow.  There was also some chum around the area. Some of them in real decent shape. 
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 2nd 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:02:49 PM »

4x4

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 03:26:17 PM »

Right on.
Is that a red or marble?

Btw - sweet Stang.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »

Red.  No whitesh in it at all....

Thanks about the Stang.... I like my car. :D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 03:47:39 PM »

Great looking fish, DMW.  Chrome coho... very nice.  I haven't hooked any coho yet this year, though I've only been out there twice.  Were you lower/mid/upper?

:D
Tex

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

Looks like you found yourself a ton of red meat, and this seasons roe supply. nice fish no steel.
The Bigger The Better!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 04:34:28 PM »

They don't come any chromer than that. Well done.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »

nice job, very jealous of the spring ;)

alamis99

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 07:11:37 PM »

well done bro

Sinaran

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »

well done big gun!
that got my heart bumping hard again... time to call in sick tomorrow.. lol
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:06 PM »

I'll be back out in the rain tomorrow with some nice fresh roe to see what there is to be scrounged up!! ;)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 09:59:25 PM »

good luck BS

hope to see you at the river and nice report !
hardware == fish

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 10:14:07 PM »

Was out today too. Didn't find much action in lower river even though fish are rollling all around. Head up river and fish the fast water and was lucky to be rewarded with a buck coho around 10 lbs. No camera with me so have to take the picture after getting home. The fish are there. Good luck to all. Tight line.

Thank every one for helping instruction.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:38:44 PM by Steelhawk »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 12:29:43 PM »

Since the forecast has called for heavy rainfall in the next several days, we decided to make a trip out on Thursday as well. Typically we have done rather well on the Chilliwack River just prior or during the first heavy rainfall around late September/early October. Unlike last year, there wasn't much expectation on what we wanted to catch. The coho salmon return is not expected to be significant just as what we had experienced in 2005. Nevertheless, catches of a few chinook and chum salmon would still be considered a good trip.

We Had a later start, arrived at our spot at 7:30am. Gwyn and Chris were already working the run. They reported no catches except one adult chinook salmon that Gwyn had beached. Water clarity looked ideal, one couldn't have asked for better condition than this during this time of the year. Fish were rolling left and right in front of us, but most appeared to be chum salmon.

After drifting through the run several times, one fish couldn't resist a big chunk of roe at the end of Nina's line. A silvery roll after the hookset showed that it was a jack coho salmon, but a brief slack on the line allowed it to swim away quickly.

Bites were absent for the next couple of hours except a stubborn chinook salmon that Gwyn had connected with. This fish refused to come in for around 15 minutes. In the end, persistence by the angler won the battle as the fish was towed into the shallows. The fish was slightly coloured. Gwyn sent the fish back into the run after a quick photo session.

By this point Chris had moved to a different run and reported some missed bites when we talked on the phone. He suspected that they were smolts or trout, but I was skeptical as smolts or trout usually go off the bites by this time of the year. Nina and I decided to make our way down to his run and found out ourselves. Upon our arrival, Chris reported that they were salmon after all, as he had just hooked several and broke them off. I began drifting through while Chris took a break. I rebaited, looped a big chunk of roe on. Chris disapproved the size of the bait. "Bait is too big.", he said. The float took a dive just as he finished the remark. ;D It was a small adult chinook, which took me downstream for a bit but popped off the hook as it entered the shallow.

As I rigged up again, Chris was back on his feet with big bait on his hook too. ;) It only took a couple of casts before his float also took a dip. A bigger chinook emerged and shot for the rapids downstream. He beached it quite easily after just several minutes of fight. The fish, estimated to be around 15lb, was released quickly as no one was willing to carry it back to the car. ;)

After some more misses and a couple more hook-ups, the bites died off at 11:00am. 9:00am to 10:00am seems to be the biting period lately, while first light has not produced well. We packed it up and headed to Cookies Grill to end another Vedder venture. :) No coho salmon were harrassed.

Big Rob

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »

Fished the vedder for the first time this fall. Fished mid and upper river, Kept one hatchery coho about 10 lbs. Released two jack springs around the 6/8 lb weight. Lost one large chrome coho that spit the hook after fighting it for approx. 10min.  Had another big coho hit my spoon so hard it caught me unprepared and I snapped my 8lb. leader on the strike. Sorry no pics,  my daughters think Im a dinasour, No cell phone or digital camera, how can one function without one?