Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis Nov. 23rd: Getting Chromer By The Day!  (Read 2746 times)

CohoOn!

Chehalis Nov. 23rd: Getting Chromer By The Day!
« on: November 23, 2005, 08:26:55 PM »

Stayed in Chilliwack last night and hit the Walmart where they still have a decent selection of Blue Foxes and picked up a few more bright chartreuse and also got a new spinning reel.
Was a georgeous sunny morn  8) and arrived at river about 9:45pm after taking the dog for a walk down through that new Eagle Point development next to the golf course. Sweet view of all the eagles down in the bay there and could imagine myself kicking back with a cold one on my deck there one day after a great day on the Chehalis. Think the lots start at about $150,000 each so maybe it'll be someone elses deck!  ;D
Had seen fresh bear tracks   :o while fishing yesterday so while heading in today gave a blast of my airhorn in a can and must have scared the crap out of a couple of natives I didn't see up ahead that were in collecting maple trees to sell to musical instrument makers and crafts people. Couple of great guys and they claimed no one from the band re-directed the river, that it did it on it's own.
Headed on to the river and chucked my #6 silver Blue Fox for half our and nothing. Switched up to the chartreuse and first retrieve a 9-10 lb buck slammed it! :) The new reel performed flawless and the little 7 foot rod and 8 pound leader didn't let me down. The rod is a Rhino with "Indistructible" written on it so I took it at it's word. By noon I had another 5 lb buck and two beauty chrome does in the 7lb range. As I caught the nicest of them all last I kinda was curious how many more chromers might be there and made a few more casts with the chartreuse and slammed another chromer but broke it off not realizing I hadn't backed off my drag after having to break off a snag in a tree moments earlier. Decided at that point the fish Gods were telling me not to tempt the devil by landing any more beauty 8 lb chromers and have thoughts put in my head of stashing that lesser 5lber for another day and take the chromer. Both bucks are headed for my friends smoker tonight and the does go to the freezer. The shrubs took another toll on my hardware  >:( and the schrubs are beginning to look more and more Xmas like by the day. Think this summer I'll have to go retrieve some. At 1:30pm drove by the hatchery and campground and only one car parked at each place!Talked to a guy who came down from the canyon and said there were quite a few chromers pooled up in there but still hard to get them to bite. Says he got a couple though. Gold or chartreuse #5 & 6 foxes in slow water are killer. Cast after cast in front of their noses they totally ignore then suddenly one of them can't stand it anymore and breaks rank and bolts for it!! It's an awesome thing to clearly see their every move in the slack water just yards away. That's it for now.
All the best!
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Chehalis Nov. 23rd: Getting Chromer By The Day!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 08:33:56 PM »

nice report, maybe theres starting to show  :)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 10:37:48 PM »

Great report, I love days like that.
Fish on!

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 02:00:05 AM »

chromer by the day, that sounds interessting
My hands smell like fish again.............

CohoOn!

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 02:38:56 AM »

Sorry I forgot about water level and meant to cover that. Again the flow is slightly up from last Friday as result of the snow melt so no rain for the past week hasn't changed things any. Run past the hatch is still dismall but main river out of the canyon is perfect.
"Chromer By The Day" was simply in response to the fact that the fish i came across today were better looking than what i had seen the day before. I realize of course that in general we are on the downhill slope from here on in.
Cheers!   
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 03:17:48 PM »

right on
weeeeeeeeeow!

dnibbles

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 06:05:24 PM »

Good report!

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 07:01:19 PM »

does anyone know if it will be any good this weekend?

thanks,

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 10:40:22 AM »

um.... i bought a crystal ball from ebay.... but it won't be here till next week....  ;D

on a serious note... with yesterdays rain i would imagine that if there sre still coho coming in, a guy might do pretty good this weekend on a few different rivers. I'm gonna hit it up tomorrow so if i have a worthy report i'll post it