Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CHUM run  (Read 10144 times)

ICA

CHUM run
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:13:28 PM »

Any of you fine fishermen know when the real fresh run begins and normally where ie. does the Squamish get them first? Thanks in advance fellas!

wonder

Re: CHUM run
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »

stave gets a decent run starting in october not a lot of access now due to the dam construction

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »

The Squamish run is slightly behind the Vedder but many of those chum there are chrome or near chrome. You have one of those and you want to throw back most of your Stave chum.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:30:30 PM by liketofish »

fishtruck

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »

Also, there's plenty of room to fish,unlike the Vedder. Just remember that one hour after high tide is best time to fish

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »

I landed a chum sunday on the Vedder. it was already to dark to take home  ???

I have caught them so bullet chrome in the Vedder you cant tell what they are until they are tailed, this of course is not the norm
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »

The Squamish run is slightly behind the Vedder but many of those chum there are chrome or near chrome. You have one of those and you want to throw back most of your Stave chum.

Just a gentle reminder that the Squamish and it`s tributaries offer zero retention of chum salmon, it is strictly catch & release. However, there will be coho in the system as well, and you can keep one hatchery coho per day. Cheers!
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »

Just a gentle reminder that the Squamish and it`s tributaries offer zero retention of chum salmon, it is strictly catch & release. However, there will be coho in the system as well, and you can keep one hatchery coho per day. Cheers!

EXCELLENT REMINDER for the uneducated and the "forgetful".

koifish

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »

I got a chum yesterday at vedder to was not so chrome near chrome

brandooner

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 01:01:22 PM »

I gotta chum the other day on the vedder too
The Fishin' Musician!

Suther

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:21 PM »

http://www.psc.org/info_testfishing_summaries.htm

I was just looking at the data for the last few days, and I found it interesting (and a bit exciting) to see the coho and chum numbers steadily rising. The chums are outnumbering the pinks at this point, and almost up to 100 per day.

So are chum readily catchable in the tidal fraser like Pinks are once the numbers are there? Is there a strong run up Pitt River?
Whats a good method for targeting chum?
Any suggestions on locations? I have been to the Sapperton Pier in New West, but nobody seems to be catching anything there lately.

Thanks!

Humpy

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 09:57:49 PM »

The chum are much farther out, closer to the middle of the river, unlike the pinks which travel closer to shore. Try the Stave, Squamish, Vedder or Harrison River if you want to get into chum, your arms will be sore.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Suther

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 10:18:22 PM »

What about the mouth of the Coquitlam River? I was thinking about going for a walk through the bushes or along the Mary Hill Bypass to get out to the mouth (I only have a salt water license right this moment, and dont have the money for a fresh water for a few weeks.)

Is the mouth of the Stave River accessible? Just to make sure, its boundary between salt and fresh is the railroad *right* at the mouth right?

Humpy

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 10:28:20 PM »

Not sure about the mouths or boundary's, I usually stick to fishing the river itself. How do you access the coq river? I live near it but have never been there?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Suther

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 11:55:28 PM »

Its generally quite easy to access the Coq river. A big trail runs right beside a lot of it, its beside Lions Park in PoCo, You can get to it almost anywhere off Pipeline north of the mall... There is plenty of options. The boundary for salt is the bridge on the Mary Hill bypass, so I figured that gives me a small chunk of the mouth I can fish between the Fraser and that bridge. If I can't find a path through the trees or anything, there is a pretty decent looking shoulder on the road I was thinking I could probably walk along on the road...

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 07:12:45 AM »

Its generally quite easy to access the Coq river. A big trail runs right beside a lot of it, its beside Lions Park in PoCo, You can get to it almost anywhere off Pipeline north of the mall... There is plenty of options. The boundary for salt is the bridge on the Mary Hill bypass, so I figured that gives me a small chunk of the mouth I can fish between the Fraser and that bridge. If I can't find a path through the trees or anything, there is a pretty decent looking shoulder on the road I was thinking I could probably walk along on the road...

There is a trail from the boat launch parking lot up to the mouth.
Not all those who wander are lost