Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Brood Capture On The Chilliwack Vedder River Off To A Good Start.  (Read 10107 times)

dcajaxs

very nice to hear of the continuation of the program and that people are helping out where they can

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I head that a 20+ lb fish was captured for brood, am I right or was that just a fisherman eye scale.
14 to 15 I hear.

Burkie

Supposedly weighed in at the on the way store

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

That certainly would be a nice hatchery fish but I believe we were talking about a wild fish taken for brood.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

I've never been one to weigh in, but I didn't think they weighed fish at On The Way?

Pin-nook

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D...I think  also heard they tried at Fred's but the fish kept flopping off the scale and too many customers wanted to take hero pics with it before it was off to the hatchery!

joshhowat

Sounds and smells like bull crap
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

While Lew and I looked for the Leaf Mobile today one brood capture chap tubed 3. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Number around 21 at noon today 50/50 bucks and does.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Brood Capture On The Chilliwack Vedder River Off To A Good Start.
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 06:24:23 AM »

From all account the tubing continues to go well with around 30 does and 19 bucks by the last number I received so some more are needed to meet the target of around the 70 pairs for the 2013 program. Thanks to the tubers and to those donating the steelhead to them so there will be hatchery fish in the future for those that like to take a hatchery fish home for the table.

bigrig

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

Just out of curiousity, is 70 pairs the usual target for the hatchery?
After 4 great years in a row catching these stealthy creatures, this year has been very trying!
I have heard that these people at the hatchery and the volunteers do an amazing job but surely something must have happened this year in particular.Can or will the old timers give the rest of us your thoughts on this.Thank you

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »

35 pairs are collected; about 5-10 die on average and are replaced with fish captured by hatchery staff in the closed area.
Think about the numbers ... app 50 wild fish have been captured between 20 or so of the best rods on this river over about one month.  Consider also water conditions for the most part have been optimal; this tells me the early part of this run is lower than normal.  How low will be determined when a few of us locals do our annual enumerations starting April..

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 06:14:07 PM »

35 pairs are collected; about 5-10 die on average and are replaced with fish captured by hatchery staff in the closed area.
Think about the numbers ... app 50 wild fish have been captured between 20 or so of the best rods on this river over about one month.  Consider also water conditions for the most part have been optimal; this tells me the early part of this run is lower than normal.  How low will be determined when a few of us locals do our annual enumerations starting April..

I'm starting to think this is evident everywhere at this point. I'v done ok, but it seems to be abnormal and/or lucky.
Stamp has been dead for quite a while now (granted the water is less than ideal at a very low level, but you would think the fish would push in any ways eventually).
A few of the other rivers I fish down island have been dead, very few fish caught despite some great water bumps.
Now I'm up north island... same story. Rivers all bumped a couple days back and still very few fish to be had, and have covered over 6 km of water each of the past 2 days.

I sure hope numbers pick up in the later season....

mr.p

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 12:56:11 AM »

I concur with the previous posters.  So far, this has been the worst season I've had ever on the vedder.  Compared to the last three years, I've put in the same amount of days, but have less than a third the number of fish.  The same goes for a couple buddies of mine.

Tough fishing.  Dissecting long stretches of river and not touching or seeing a fish has become the norm this year.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...