Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bald is beautiful but so is having some tread. Got your snow fins on yet?

Yes
- 38 (59.4%)
Not likely to
- 24 (37.5%)
Booked in the first chance they can get me in
- 2 (3.1%)
I don't have a vehicle
- 0 (0%)
I don't have a vehicle or bicycle
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Got your snow tires on yet  (Read 10382 times)

JPW

Re: Got your snow tires on yet
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »

If you have a car with front wheel drive , can you get away with snow tires in the front only ???? The local tire store says you have to the all around not just the front . I need your opinion on this question .

Put four winters on.  You're better on bald all-seasons then on only two winters.  Here is a great example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtAm7RsTmE (especially the end where there show what happens with only two).   Keep in mind if you have an ABS equipped car, it will be even worse.  The reason being, the wheel speed sensors will be giving the ABS system incorrect information when the all-season end of the car locks up.  That means that it will pulse the brakes and your stopping distance will be dramatically increased.  Again, only two winters will likely be worse than bald all-seasons.

colin6101

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 07:43:48 PM »

I am by no means an expert, but I used to run two snow tires on the back of my rear wheel drive ranger during the winter for years. I couldn't even get out of my sub division using my all seasons but easily managed snow with the winters. I couldn't stop at all with my all seasons and stopped very well with my winter tires on.

Danube Boy

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »

Put four winters on.  You're better on bald all-seasons then on only two winters.  Here is a great example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtAm7RsTmE (especially the end where there show what happens with only two).   Keep in mind if you have an ABS equipped car, it will be even worse.  The reason being, the wheel speed sensors will be giving the ABS system incorrect information when the all-season end of the car locks up.  That means that it will pulse the brakes and your stopping distance will be dramatically increased.  Again, only two winters will likely be worse than bald all-seasons.

Find that hard/impossible to believe. You wouldn't be able to move, literally, with bald (well worn out) all season tires in snow. I ran snow tires in the front and all seasons (near new) in the back of a civic and it worked just fine assuming you drove carefully and responsibly. Having said that, all four tires is optimum and highly recommended. Some cars may do better with mismatched tires than others, and there are many variables that will determine that.

You might actually have a hard time finding a reputable tire dealer that will sell you only two tires. Many claim to have a "winter tire policy" where they are not allowed to sell you only two tires due to safety reasons. Not sure if there is a bylaw of some sort for that.

Also do your research before buying winter tires especially, as many have pretty poor wet and dry traction, which is 90% of our winter driving. If you can take transit on the snowy days, stick with your all seasons, assuming they are good quality. If you know you'll be heading into higher elevations and definitely require winter tires, spend the extra $$ and get something from Michelin, Bridgestone or go all out and get Nokians.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »

I am by no means an expert, but I used to run two snow tires on the back of my rear wheel drive ranger during the winter for years. I couldn't even get out of my sub division using my all seasons but easily managed snow with the winters. I couldn't stop at all with my all seasons and stopped very well with my winter tires on.

I might try that with my Mazda 2300. I've got chains and even a good jack in the truck, to lift it to put them on. I always use to drive my old rear wheel drive vehicles with snow or winter tread tires on the back. Radials all season on the front.

Other than that I have a 2008 Subaru Forrester with snow tires for bad winter driving.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:20:27 PM by troutbreath »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

salmonlover

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »

Been hunting in the Mountains for Weeks! Put the super aggressive (snow/ice rated) grabbers on the new 4x4 as soon as I started climbing the hills. Nice to have them in place when the snow did hit. BTW, she climbs tough hills with the snow on them like it wasn't even there! Sweet!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

what brand and model are your tires?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 09:28:58 PM »

Installing two winter tires on the front (ie: FWD cars) is a bad idea, just like putting chains on the front tires alone.  Having a lot more traction in the front can lead to swapping ends.  Two winter tires in the back of a RWD is going to be better than 4 all seasons and not as good as 4 winters.  No danger of putting two winter tires on the back of a RWD car or truck.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »

You would think it safe now that all tires are basicaly radial tires. I always liked the big traction on the back, with the smoothness that the all season radials provided in the steering component. This was also for travelling longer distances. If it would of been lot's of local trips big boots.

Anyway some tireshark will always tell you that your life insurance is null and void for screwing around with your tires.

JPW

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »

Quote from: JPW
Again, only two winters will likely be worse than bald all-seasons.
Find that hard/impossible to believe. You wouldn't be able to move, literally, with bald (well worn out) all season tires in snow.

I probably should have qualified that.  My point is that with crappy all-seasons you won't be able to get around well in the snow, if at all, but you're still better off than the adverse handling conditions that will be caused by having only two winter tires.  Watch the video.  When you have two drastically different coefficients of grip you have an unsafe vehicle and it's made worse in a vehicle that has ABS.  At least with bald all-seasons, you have consistently crappy grip.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 09:42:29 AM »

Makes me wonder what chains on the back tires will do to the ABS system.

JPW

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 06:10:44 PM »

Makes me wonder what chains on the back tires will do to the ABS system.

Providing it's RWD (not AWD - otherwise it will reek havoc with traction control) it will be fine for getting the car going, but braking would be negatively impacted as a result of the difference in grip between the front and rear axles.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »

If you have a car with front wheel drive , can you get away with snow tires in the front only ???? The local tire store says you have to the all around not just the front . I need your opinion on this question .

Talk to a tire shop. When I was having my snows installed this weekend the front desk guy showed a customer a Nokian all weather tire (has a winter rating) and said he would install 2 on the front with the exisitng all seasons on the back. I have yet to see a winter tire that is not required to be installed in 4 otherwise.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 11:12:57 AM »

I put snow tires on a few weeks ago, mainly because my All Seasons are basically bald. The rims and tires are in the back box of my truck for added weight.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 11:21:31 AM »

I bought an extra set of wheels for her car, the winter I use 16" wheels instead of the 17" summers.
The winter tire is narrower and has more side wall for cushion in bad pot holes.
Now I change them out myself and the expensive summer tires will last much longer.

and for the people that think they have "true 4x4" hate to say it, but its not true 4x4.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »

with snows narrower is better. Wider tires have less pressure per surface area which means less grip on ice and snow.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »

what brand and model are your tires?

These:

BF Goodrich's All Terrain TA K0's in 245/75/R16.
Has the Mountain and Snow symbol on them, and VERY much lives up to that!
Heavier sidewalls than most as well, and those lugs REALLY clear the snow & mud!
They work well in the "grease" we refer to as snow on The Rock;D

Cheers,
Nog