Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Fishing  (Read 10405 times)

small_fish

• Hi!
Coho Fishing
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »

Was wondering when coho season starts, and if my pink set up would work
6-10lb spinning rod 8ft?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Coho Fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »

It depends where you are fishing. A spinning rod that is rated between 6 and 10lb test is ideal for coho salmon fishing in the Tidal Fraser River, or anywhere that lacks the swift river current. I use a spinning rod that is rated 4 to 10lb test for coho salmon in the Tidal Fraser River, but the same rod is not appropriate for fishing in streams such as the Chilliwack, Chehalis, Stave, Squamish River because the river current becomes an advantage for the fish. The lack of power on the rod makes it harder to land the fish and can lead to overplaying a fish that is required to be released. For streams where a current exists, I prefer to use a faster spinning rod, rated between 8 and 12lb test, or a baitcasting rod that is rated in the same class.

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:21:58 PM »

Thanks rod, Well for starters I guess I will try just fishing The Tidal Fraser. When is the estimated time they start showing up there? and what kind of gear would i need?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »

Your chances of hitting a Coho in the lower Fraser are pretty slim.

They are also huge fighters - I've had some tough battles with my 10' Trophy XL & a levelwind.

Coho are around now but probably won't be thick for another 3-4 weeks.
I've caught them in md-November north of the Fraser.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »

The gear that you use is almost identical to what you would use for pink salmon in the Tidal Fraser River.

Personally, as mentioned in the previous post, I like to use a rod that is rated between 4 and 10lb test. Most anglers would find this a bit too soft, which would make setting the hook rather difficult especially if you are using a thick shanked hook. 6 to 10lb test, 8 to 12lb test rods would also work well. I prefer a rod that is at least 7 feet long. This allows me to stand further away from the water, less moving when waves are present.

A spinning reel that can handle 6 to 10lb test line is ideal. You don't want the reel to be too big, because then it becomes too heavy to cast with. Your line should be kept at 10lb test or under. 12 test becomes frustrating to cast with after awhile.

For lures, again that's personal preference. I've done well with Gibbs Crocs, but have also been successful with spinners.

Coho salmon fishing is not opened right now in the Tidal Fraser River so all coho salmon are required to be released if caught while pink salmon fishing. The coho salmon fishery will open on October 10th. Keep an eye on the website for a new fishery notice about the opening. Normally the daily quota is two hatchery coho salmon when it is opened.

rides bike to work

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 04:49:03 PM »

Coho on the vedder are showing up in good numbers peach wool or roe seems to do the trick every time remember hatchery fish only.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »

yeah rodneys dead on about the rod setup. however i lost all my line just yesterday fishing the lower fraser for pinks when a very large chinook salmon took my chartreusse blue fox. took me a half hour with my 8lb line setup and finally just took off and spooled me. it was around 20lbs easy so that is the major disadvantage when fishing lower fraser for smaller coho and pinks. I have upgraded to berkely trilene smooth cast 15lb line so it should give me a fighting chance if another monster spring chews my lure.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 08:23:26 PM »

The few times when I managed to connect with a chinook salmon on the Tidal Fraser while fishing for pink salmon, I simply straightened the rod and break the lure of after realizing I was not going to gain any line.

Richmond

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »

i was fishing next to a boat that landed a nice 8lb coho at sandheads last night.

look like cutplug and banana wieghts

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »

I caught a 10 - 12lb wild Buck coho in the tidal fraser last weekend using a 6"6 foot light spinning rod(rated up to 12lbs) & reel with 8lb maxima ultragreen line...it was my first coho and it fought really hard...it was a blast on a light rod & reel setup...not sure if I will stick with the light rod & reel when the chum start showing up though :-\

fisherwithrod

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 02:38:29 PM »

This is for when the coho fishery is going to open in the tidal Fraser: has anyone had success catching coho with bar rigs with two hooks? I understand that regulations permit two single barbless hooks on one line.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »

iliketofish, if you go chum fishing with that light setup, the chum salmon will make the decision when you should buy a new rod. Chum salmon are right up there with being one of the hardest fighting fish that a person can try for  on the river. 

colin6101

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 06:53:19 PM »

I have caught some coho barfishing before. I've actually had better luck getting them to bite on worms then roe. This type of fishing for salmon is not permitted right now I don't believe though. Always check to make sure you are allowed to use bait for salmon before you head out as there seasonal closures on bait as well as on species of fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 01:10:17 AM »

has anyone had success catching coho with bar rigs with two hooks? I understand that regulations permit two single barbless hooks on one line.

You can definitely catch coho salmon with the above setup that is permitted in the Tidal Fraser River. I have had success using it in the past but most of the time I focus on targeting coho salmon with spoons and spinners. There are several reasons. The primary reason is that I find no interest in watching a stationary rod for a long period of time and only to miss a fish when it attempts to grab roe off the hook. Fishing spoons and spinners allow me to be mobile and cover a large area where I think fish may be. Stationary roe fishing can also result in deep hooking of species that you have to release. That being said, it is a relaxing method that can be exciting at times, definitely worth giving it a go.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 10:30:53 AM »

I have caught some coho barfishing before. I've actually had better luck getting them to bite on worms then roe.
Hmm, interesting, I use worms for trout, didn't really think that salmon would be interested in them, especially in the Fraser... Good to know though.

This type of fishing for salmon is not permitted right now I don't believe though. Always check to make sure you are allowed to use bait for salmon before you head out as there seasonal closures on bait as well as on species of fish.
OK, will keep an eye on that.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get RSS feeds from the Fisheries website when new regulations/notices appear?
I use a reader and get RSS feeds from many websites, only on the subjects that I am interested, so that I don't have to browse everyday through a whole website or newspaper to find the news.
Just wandering if anyone knows anything about that.

Thanks guys, this forum is awesome! I hope that one day to have more answers than questions here...