Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on what motor to put on my 'new' boat.  (Read 10060 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Thoughts on what motor to put on my 'new' boat.
« on: July 31, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »

Hey there, walk a mile in my shoes for a sec and tell me what you'd do.

I just inherited a nice deep and wide 14" aluminum Thornes.  It has a very old, very tired and unsafe 20hp 1960's merc on it that is destined for the scrap heap/sold for parts.

I am debating on what to repower it with.  The boat will be used for limited Fraser River duty, lots of use in lakes and maybe the odd jaunt or two around Ambleside, off of Porteau Cove and other similar places for a bit of fishing and crabbing etc.  I know the limits of a boat of this size and have access to a larger boat for more involved duties.  So it will never be used in 'iffy' conditions or used far offshore.

I am looking at either a new 2009 model unused 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke or a brand new 20hp Merc/Nissan 4 stroke.

The Yammy is 30lbs lighter, but it gives up 5hp and 100cc's.  I have a newer 50lb thrust Minnkota as a back up motor, as well as a 5hp 2 stroke Merc to use as a kicker if necessary (probably will sell the 5hp).

If the two motors were basically the same price, and they are both unused, what would YOU do?

8)

Sr SQ

Re: Thoughts on what motor to put on my 'new' boat.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 07:41:48 PM »

Depends if its on a trailer or not.......that 20 is going to be a bear to lift off and on if your not going to trailer it.
That said if its going to be trailered around all the time I say go with the 4 stroke.
You wont need a kicker to troll with either

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:48:10 PM »

Max out whatever hp the boat is rated for and go two stroke, much lighter and less compact.

TacoChris

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:40:22 PM »

I would have to agree with the trailer suggestion. 4 Stroke if you do leave it attached to the boat. I believe many have had problems putting 4 stokes on their side when transporting. Better for the enviroment than a 2 stroke.

I have a 2001 Nissan 2 stroke. Best outboard I have ever used. Way cleaner than the older 2 stokes but still leaves some oil at startup.

jeepseteve

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:11:23 AM »

Go 4 Stroke. you will be happy to have the extra power! better to have more power and not use it than not have enough power and need it!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:05:12 AM »

Yes it is on a trailer.  A nice galvanized one at that.  Just needs some new bunks and a new winch.

I fish in Wa. State a little bit and I have been reading about some lakes banning 2 strokes.  Something to think about.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »

I'd get one of those motors that run on propane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trJ5xPQO25k
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

An interesting development.  I managed to scrape some gunk off the inside and tracked down the plate that has the serial number and capacity.  It says 40hp max.  Now, just in my experience, this boat does not seam capable of handing that much power.  Especially not a heavy, modern 4 stroke.

I think I will stick to my guns and look for a new 20hp 4 stroke.  Or maybe a 25-30hp 2 stroke if I can find a decent one.

The transom 'cutout' portion is 15" tall.  The total transom height is ~22" and the beam is 60".

Here she is in her 'glory'.  Lots of work to be done, but as a freebee it will be fun project and I will get a ton of use out of her.

It was originally silver and was painted a few times.  The story goes, the original owner (My Wife's Grandpa) was such a good fisherman in the waters off of Campbell River that he would slap a different colour of paint on the boat all the time to keep followers off his trail. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:39:39 PM by Damien »

MoeJKU

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 04:18:25 PM »

I would slap a 40hp yamaha, or honda on there. The are both great
Heres a link to one used:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?95466-40-hp-Yamaha-outboard-for-sale-3500-00
even if you don't need it , you don't have to run the thing full steam all the time. And it will come in handy going  into wind, current, with the tide going out heading back up the  lower fraser.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:56:20 PM »

I can't open that link as I am not a member.

Anyways.  Trying to keep costs in line and not drop a $5K+ motor on a $1000 boat, so a 40hp Yamaha or Honda is out of the question.

I can source a new 20hp Nissan/Tohatsu/Merc (same motor) for ~$2600.  A 20hp Yammy would be  ~$3400.

Nitroholic

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 10:07:14 PM »

I'd look for a mercury 25hp seapro myself

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 11:25:46 PM »

Never heard of it.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 01:20:14 PM »

Had a 1980 fibreglass runabout 16ft & 5 ft beam.
Put a 40 4 stroke Yamaha & it felt a little too heavy for the boat.
Felt it neg way the boat handled.
Added to the weight was the battery plus fuel.

If it were me I'd go max 15 HP 4 stroke on the boat ya have.
2 stroke choice would be a 25 HP.

Just be careful when on the Fraser & salt.
Crazy things can happen. ESP on the lower Fraser R.
Just the wake alone can scare ya ha!
No joke. On some ideal conditions that created my guess 12 ft standing waves or higher literally across to the south wood jetty from downtown Steveston.

NW wind ,fast incoming tide, lots of water flow etc.
Told a Chinese solo boater who was at the launch about running into those waves with our 1996 16 ft Arima boat.
He said " ya I saw yous "
The waves were just in that general area. In the middle of the river the waves were a mere 3 ft.

It would be good if ya could trail & error 2 - 3 outboards before picking the one ya like.
Say a boat marina located on the water & they could demo some used engines for ya.
Weight really is an issue.

Edit In :  actually the 1980 boat had a 6 ft beam ( not 5 ft as I 1st posted )

Our 1996 16 ft Arima has a really nice beam at 7' 6".
Quite wide for the length. Very stable.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:13:23 PM by A-BOATER »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »

Thanks Arima, as I wrote, I know the limits of a boat of this size and have access to a larger boat for more involved duties.  So it will never be used in 'iffy' conditions or used far offshore.

The idea of trying a few options is good, if I could make that happen.  I think replacing the old 20 with a new 20 will be the sweet spot. 

A new Suzuki 20hp is 97lbs.  A Merc/Nissan/Tohatsu is 114.  So that saves almost 20lbs right there.  Something or me to consider.  The Honda is 103lbs and Yammy 111lbs.  Manual tilt and pull start models.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »

thats not a 60's merc hanging off the back of that boat ! more like a mid 70's to 80's !

Why don't u get that atleast checked out first to see what type of shape it really is in !

dealers  also might take it in on a trade cause there still people who run them !
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:49:47 PM by rjs »