Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low viz tactics  (Read 3261 times)

brownmancheng

Low viz tactics
« on: March 03, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »

Hey guys any advice for targeting steelhead in a small coloured flow?
Been floating roe bags to with no avail :'(. Any suggestions or tips appreciated

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: Low viz tactics
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:27:32 PM »

In low viz water, normally a bigger profile bait works better.
Pink procured whole prawn tail hooked cross-wise to spin does work well for me.
It has the advantage of both bigger profile plus spinning action.
Good thing about prawn tail is that once steelhead bites into it, they rarely let go and gets hooked right away.
When water is dirty, I sometimes add a bright corky/yarn to enhance visibility of the offering.

Also, 4 or 6" pink/red worm would have a big enough profile to be visible in turbid water conditions.
Experiment with different colours and add scent where allowed.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:12:52 AM »

In addition to a bigger profile, go with brighter colours.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »

i like really flashy spoons and spiners or big clumps of roe. a jig with some roe or prawn tail also works prety good
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »

or that bag of roe we forget in our vest for a bit that stinks to high heaven worked for me.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

mr.p

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 09:12:23 PM »

In addition to a bigger profile, go with brighter colours.

I agree with the bigger profile.  But in low vis, i believe darker colours are better.  I've read and heard this from numerous knowledgeable sources like biologists or scientists.  Black, purple, dark blue..etc.  From what I gather, colours fade in the ROYGBIV order.  So the first colour to go is red then orange, then yellow...and on and on.  In fact, even in gin clear water, red fades out to green at 20ft.  If you cut yourself 20ft underwater, your blood will appear green.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »

I agree with the bigger profile.  But in low vis, i believe darker colours are better.  I've read and heard this from numerous knowledgeable sources like biologists or scientists.  Black, purple, dark blue..etc.  From what I gather, colours fade in the ROYGBIV order.  So the first colour to go is red then orange, then yellow...and on and on.  In fact, even in gin clear water, red fades out to green at 20ft.  If you cut yourself 20ft underwater, your blood will appear green.

Good points, fish don't see like we do.....that's why red jigs are actually a pretty subtle presentation in clear water.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »

When was the last time you guys hooked steelhead 20' down?  Red is still red at the depths steelhead are normally caught.

mr.p

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 02:08:47 AM »

vis at 20ft could equivalent of 2 or 3 ft depth in dirty water.  And the last time I have hooked a steelhead 20ft deep was last year.  Hooked a few more than one too  ;)
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:54:35 AM »

When was the last time you guys hooked steelhead 20' down?  Red is still red at the depths steelhead are normally caught.

lots of times if you count float to weight plus leader ;)

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 10:30:18 AM »

--I don't think you read the whole post... was talking about Gin Clear disappear at 20 ft... Maybe if you drink the Clear Gin it will disappear sooner or maybe try a more subtle colour from the red spectrum such as Pink.
--I'm talking line colour not lure colour.... pink gives some visibility above water to follow yet soon disappears below water.

--Coloured water don't overlook sound.. insert rattle in soft plastics or use tumbler type spinner. Larger blade profile allows for slower retrieve..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:39:52 AM by skaha »

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »

insert rattle in soft plastics or use tumbler type spinner. Larger blade profile allows for slower retrieve..

As you mentioned rattle, here in Alberta they had a whole selection of rattles from quite big ones to really small ones to insert into pink worms.
I guess they use it for bass fishing here.
I think the smallest one was like 12 mm long plastic cylinder and maybe 2~3 mm in diameter with 3 really tiny steel balls in them.
Are these the type you are refering to?

brownmancheng

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »

I was just reading about those e chips and thought they may work well with reduced visibility.. Are they practical and beng used locally? Anyone had success whilst targeting salmon or steelhead? What are they going for in the tackle shop?