Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: up in flames  (Read 4490 times)

NiceFish

• Old Timer
up in flames
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »

Well I set out to make about a 5' foot tall cedar smoke house
i bought a nice propane burner
assembled it, looked beautiful

did some test runs, heat management, okay holds heat well at 120, 140, 160, great this thing is ready to smoke.

time to try a piece

ALRIGHT! I got it goin' good at 120 she should be safe for a bit, go into the kitchen for a bite to eat, load up fishin' with rod....reading away...10 mins later, *knock knock* on my door
landlord - "is that thing supposed to smoke"
me - "yeah its a fish smoker, see i'll show you how it work---HOLY cupcakes, ITS ON FIRE"
so i open the door (wrong move, i know better im trying to become a fire fighter, feed it oxygen good idea, ball of fire), cupcakes, so i dash around back to turn off the propane, grab the hose barley and water pressure, but enough, okay okay, good its out its out, fire dept hasn't been called. I'm okay.

A little toasty, but ok.

Smoker's hooped though.

Only one piece of fish lost.

I'm just going to stick with store bought.

as embarrassing as this is (and yes it is all real as of 20 mins ago), I figured it's worth sharing.

Sorry no pics -- that's just too much for me.

one more cast

Re: up in flames
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:14:47 PM »

Shouldn't this be in the fishing report :o

sorry for the loss...atleast it didn't spread, thankfully.

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »

Wasn't your fish still smoked ;D ;D Thats what I call smokin in style ha, ah well glad to hear noone was hurt.
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »

It was a little chard haha.

I'm still in shock about what happened, couldn't believe it, just thankful I don't live in a dense neighborhood, only a few people noticed the shenanigans

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:56:41 PM »

That is funny......  knowing no real damage was done other than to your ego.  ;D

A friend of mine (is on the Chilliwack fire reserve) had the same experience when he built a not so pretty smokehouse so he could smoke up some venison sausage. No fire, but severely charred it however his sausages survived.  It's satisfying building something yourself, but sometimes the bought stuff is better value..  :-\
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

lovethewater

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »

When i read this i was actually  looking online for plans for a wooden smoker.  I guess I should just go buy one or weld one up...

hmmm....  I did find some plans for making a smoker out of a cardboard box.  Anyone want the link?

cohojoe

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:56:28 AM »

cardboard ?  Is that anything like making a boat out of  ply wood ?    Wow ;  you are so lucky the flames did not burn your hands and arms.    Those are most important for future fishing.       Maybe  a  $ 100  smioker from Canadian Tire or surplus herbys is not so bad.    Also something to note ;  you must smoke the flesh ( beef,  fish,  sausages ,  etc  )  properly.     I read somewhere years ago  some  people got really sick from improper smoked  meats.     Does anyone have more details about that.     That is why I rarely  eat  home smoked or  non govt.  certified  smoked meat products.     

Steelie1030

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 11:10:18 AM »

A couple of years ago I plugged in my Little Chief at the back of my townhouse with a load of spring in it..covered it with the cardboard box and then with a tarp as it was raining...about a 1/2 hour later my wife complained that she could smell plastic burning, so we went to check and found the tarp completely gone ( only the brass rings left), the cardboard box gone and the house siding was on fire, lucily our hose was right there and I was able to put out the fire....
The wife went out and bought me a stainless Bradley smoker  so I guess things turned out for the better. I smoke pork ribs in it with alder pucks...best ribs I ever ate ...does a great job on salmon ,hot and cold smoked as well.

burnaby

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 11:16:56 AM »

Correct me if these assumptions are incorrect:
 - hardwood only for smokers (that's why chips are always hardwood)
 - no software, esp. Cedar with its natural bug deterrent oil, nasty flavoring.
 - no plywood, why take the risk of heating/burning resins.

Bradley smokers are great, chips are more expensive but so much easier for constant, consistent smoke. Cold smoking works great by adding external box for smoke box, then channel smoke into smoker box.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »

Apparently i'm allowed to get a bradley now, really expensive though, although I think i would smoke the heck out of everything I could

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 05:15:31 PM »

Bianca Amors discount centre on 104 ave Surrey has good deals on smokers for those on a limited budget. I bought both types for the price as one cheepest little chief. Electric and charcoal, lots of room for whatever your smoking. $69 check them out before there gone.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 05:19:53 PM »

Bianca Amors discount centre on 104 ave Surrey has good deals on smokers for those on a limited budget. I bought both types for the price as one cheepest little chief. Electric and charcoal, lots of room for whatever your smoking. $69 check them out before there gone.

hey im out in north van, what's the make/model of them?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »

One is Kingston or whoever that charcoal briquette brand is. It's the electric one. I can't remember the charcoal ones name.

http://biancaamorsliquidationsupercentre.com/

I'd give them a call if your coming from North Van to make sure they still have them in stock. You can get the name of them from them too. I haven't tried the electric one yet but the charcoal one I use at my cabin. Cooks eerything as well as smokes stuff too.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:03:49 PM »

I love your honesty and sense of humour, NiceFish. Great story!

cohojoe

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 09:40:39 PM »

I recognize that bear at your table.   Its the same one that ate all the apples off my trees this summer and left us with giant scats .   Smoke him if you can fit him a smoker.   You'll  need a smoker the size of a sauna.     We had smoked bear sausage this summer and it was real good.    Must have been the apples he ate in the previous summers.