Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it just me......  (Read 9099 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: Is it just me......
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM »

Although I do enjoy Chris' journals, keep in mind that he an experienced jornalist... And when some others on other forums try to do it, the story just does not grab me like his does... If it's not written well, I'd rather see the shortened version. Some people's writing style is not geared well to telling a story.

As far as photos are concerned, It really makes no difference to me whether the fish is dead or not, but when a shot of a fish is taken, make sure it looks good...

For example that shot of Pat AV's girfriend's first steely, the sun shining through the fins made the shot magical. And if it's dead, clean it up and make it look nice, you've got the time... It's dead.

As for what rock, I don't think that's necessary we all know there are fish in the river.

As far as the general area, if the angler wants to share that, that's okay. Where I don't think it's okay, is where someone else showed them the spot. Then under no circumstances should the location be shared, it's not theirs to share, and they should feel privileged someone let them in on it.

And as far as the technique, I think it's better to leave it alone unless asked, it would get boring reading the same thing over and over if that were a rule... People pretty much fish the same way most of the time. An exception is if fishing has become very tough, and someone cracked the code, and wants to share.

And it's nice to support someone who has caught a nice looking fish, we're sharing in that person's experience, one that most likely was very special for them.

For those who have the grammatical skills, embellishment should be encouraged :)

Cheers,
Nicole

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 03:30:46 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

J.G.

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 03:51:50 PM »

I have a love/hate relationship with fishing forums. Right now, I'm hating them. Giving fishing reports is great. It's very helpful to others who might not be able to fish as much as some. Posting pictures on the net of exact spots should not be done. I have had relative peace and quiet at one of the spots I frequent. The odd other angler, but virtually no pressure compared to other "zoo's". On friday someone posts a fishing report with pictures of this spot. Guess what happened? The place turned into a zoo. I don't fish weekends, but from what I heard the area looked like "low water at Lickman". I show up this morning around 9:00 a.m. to see 8 anglers working this run. The crowds didn't disperse untill noonish. I simply went to another spot, but was rather dissapointed that I now have to cross another spot off my list.

Fishing reports are great, giving away the location sucks!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 04:03:34 PM »

People should realize that just because X number of fish were caught from XYZ run this afternoon does not mean they will be there tomorrow. Move around, get some exercise, discover new runs.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 04:13:47 PM »

You shouldn't feel bad. JG. if 8 people working at that run that hard and didn't get anything.  That just said that spot has no fish that day, and you can save time and try other spots.

chum boy

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 04:18:14 PM »

I totally agree with JG on this one same thing has happened to me a couple of times
Yes fishing reports are great but don't give away the location too much, make people work to find those super secret spots haha

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »

If people can tell from the pic. It's not much of a secret wouldn't you think so?

J.G.

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 04:34:24 PM »

There are no true "secret" spots left in the lower mainland. Just spots that aren't fished as much as others. And finding those spots takes time and energy. "Internet anglers" can be very frustrating..........

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 04:37:02 PM »

I have a love/hate relationship with fishing forums. Right now, I'm hating them. Giving fishing reports is great. It's very helpful to others who might not be able to fish as much as some. Posting pictures on the net of exact spots should not be done. I have had relative peace and quiet at one of the spots I frequent. The odd other angler, but virtually no pressure compared to other "zoo's". On friday someone posts a fishing report with pictures of this spot. Guess what happened? The place turned into a zoo. I don't fish weekends, but from what I heard the area looked like "low water at Lickman". I show up this morning around 9:00 a.m. to see 8 anglers working this run. The crowds didn't disperse untill noonish. I simply went to another spot, but was rather dissapointed that I now have to cross another spot off my list.

Fishing reports are great, giving away the location sucks!

I know that spot...I fly for trout there in the summer...(and up and down some)...and love it...I also noticed the pic. and the parking lot went from empty to full....I just kick myself for not trying that sooner...Sunday, we hit close to it early...It was us and a couple guys down lower....one got into one, let it go and they left....wasn't too bad surprisingly...still quite decent up higher too...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 04:39:36 PM »

The Vedder is no secret. Thousands of anglers fish that river every year. If your fishing some rivers that only see a fifth of the pressure the Vedder gets I can see some concern. If someone posts a pic of a spot its really their choice and you cannot really get mad unless you were the one to locate this spot and show that person. I used to get mad at someone posting pics of my local flows but about a year ago I came to the realization that these rivers are urban rivers that are hatchery enhanced. They are stocked with fish for people to fish for and take. Who am I to say that they cant post pictures of this river(s) Its their choice and I DONT own the river. Thats the biggest factor. Who here owns the river? Well nobody does so who is anybody to tell what people should do?

Do what you want I wont be mad. Unless I showed you that spot ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 04:49:45 PM »

Like I said content is king...glad to see there are more than just a few people here that agree. 

And Derp, we are all intitled to our own opinions, your remark is only meant to antogonize.  You know, the type of responses you post here will flavour how other community members treat you...feel free to be antagonistic, but don't expect to get much help when you have a question etc.  I did my time here getting all fired up when someone was trying to bait me, I think most of us are beyond that now so, thank you for your "contribution" to the community.

umm, i was totally joking. Dont take it to heart  ::)
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Blue Heron

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 04:56:22 PM »

This is a very interesting topic. Being new to this site and new to fishing forums all together this topic helps me. I wanted to post
my last trip with my wife and son. I didn't however because we didn't catch. I just wanted to share the experience to say how
much of a good time we had. I can see now that posting would have been a waste of time for you guys. As far as a good format for a post I have no idea, if there is a right and wrong way hopefully I'll see a pattern in the reports.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 04:58:20 PM »

This is a very interesting topic. Being new to this site and new to fishing forums all together this topic helps me. I wanted to post
my last trip with my wife and son. I didn't however because we didn't catch. I just wanted to share the experience to say how
much of a good time we had. I can see now that posting would have been a waste of time for you guys. As far as a good format for a post I have no idea, if there is a right and wrong way hopefully I'll see a pattern in the reports.

I do enjoy reading reports even if the fishing was not on. If the story included is interesting the fish or lack of fish can sometimes be insignificant.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 05:01:48 PM »

I totally agree with JG on this one same thing has happened to me a couple of times
Yes fishing reports are great but don't give away the location too much, make people work to find those super secret spots haha

If you want to keep the spots under wraps, don't talk about them... Word on the phone spreads just as badly, and people like to talk... Soon people see your truck, and it's all over...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 05:15:33 PM »

Definitely a lot of great responses here, and glad to see all the view points and see that some people agree with me.

I'll endeavour to post a few reports now and again when I get out on the flows and on the chuck, and if they are useful to you, I'm glad, and I'll post them in good spirits. However, I think the point about "to each their own" was a valid one and I'll take that with me.

Until next time---

"Tight Lines and Straight Shooting"- Ted Peck
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 10:28:09 PM »

Derp, you just don't get it.  Maybe its an age thing, I don't know... a lot of the banter that goes on here is like giving your buddy a wedgy, the purpetrator thinks its funny as hell, the victim usually gets pissed off, and a majority of the onlookers think, what a couple of wankers...either way, that kind of behaviour is getting played out on this site (kinda like when one guy signed on thru his brothers account and was being a toss off). 

Hey don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good laugh as much as a good report...your comment though offers neither, its absolutely pointless and I think its that type of nonsense that people like myself, biff, FM, etc, etc are talking about.