Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jensen eggs  (Read 9682 times)

mr.bean

jensen eggs
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »

i dont know if this is a stupid question or not but  i am a little confusedhere. lots a people  using jensen single eggs for salmon. now jensen eggs are soft cented plastic eggs, right. why wouldnt u use single real cured eggs instead ? also. does single eggs mean just one egg on a hook or 2 or 3 single eggs on one hook ? also what would be the difference be  using 3 single eggs  instead of  a chunk of pro cured skein or roe ? dont mind my ignorence, but  i am new to this game. just trying to learn. thanks

SteelheadAdict

Re: jensen eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »

Single egg means single egg one egg on the hook i dont like jensen eggs the eggs i like are called mad river eggs they come in so many color u can get them at freds in abbotsofrd i like one of those with a little bit of white wool on top put through the egg loop that set up works realy well for me chums on the stave like that but done with an orange egg try it out steelhead lovem to

wonder

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »

i do good on the single bc orange jensens

dave c

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »

Earlier this fall I was fishing the canal before all the rain when water was low and clear.  Using chunks of roe i did okay but noticed other guys with smaller presentations doing better.  Switched to two Jensen eggs and was into more fish  than i can remember.  It doesn't make sense, it just is what it is.  It's like trying to figure out why your wife needs another pair of black heels when she already has two.  Don't question it .... just accept it and go with it.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 04:06:15 PM »

Bc orange wool from gibbs is an awsome color

crazypop

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »

Jensen eggs work great! I like the ease of transport.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »

mad river eggs are the same price and in a smaller container but u get a whole lot more eggs

prairiefire

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »

I like them in fast water too. Don't fall off as easy as roe.  ;D
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

likely

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »

single jensen with a very little bit of white wool in the bait loop really good for me  :)

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »

Jensen eggs (and similar ones like Mad River) are very versatile, durable and easy to use and I always carry a vial with assorted sizes and colours.
When combined with some wool, they can be a very potent combo under certain conditions as noted above.
I can cover a wide range of water conditions by going from small egg (light colour) plus a tuff of white wool to two large eggs (contrasting colours) with larger piece of wool.
They can be effective when river is low, clear and pressured with lots of roe fisherman around.

brownmancheng

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »

Jensen eggs (and similar ones like Mad River) are very versatile, durable and easy to use and I always carry a vial with assorted sizes and colours.
When combined with some wool, they can be a very potent combo under certain conditions as noted above.
I can cover a wide range of water conditions by going from small egg (light colour) plus a tuff of white wool to two large eggs (contrasting colours) with larger piece of wool.
They can be effective when river is low, clear and pressured with lots of roe fisherman around.

Ya I really have to try that. I always plan to, but when I have a bait box full of roe i find I get tunnel vision.
It's so hard to see them taking a single plastic egg instead of a nice juicy gob.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 10:52:25 AM »

BigBlue u are so right i like mad river cuase i find they are tuffer any sort of egg will work well now i perfor orange now cuase lots of chem around and chum eggs are orange but u are better of with roe at the moment cuase most of the rivers are high and dirty

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »

Ya I really have to try that. I always plan to, but when I have a bait box full of roe i find I get tunnel vision.
It's so hard to see them taking a single plastic egg instead of a nice juicy gob.

I often observe that curiosity is the undoing of many salmon, especially cohos, when confronted with fisherman on their upstream journey.
Always helpful to have as many tricks up our sleeves as possible. ;D

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »

I like to make the bait loop longer then the egg, to the bend of the hook almost,  slide the egg on the hook onto the bait loop up to the eye, then pull the bait loop out a bit from under the egg and add the wool there.
You have to be careful not to damage the egg but if done right the wool and eye of the hook will hold the egg in place.
Jus hides the hook a little more for the ultra low water like we experienced this year.

1son

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »

Jensen eggs work great for me for steel very versatile and less mess