Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stave river steelhead  (Read 2967 times)

Colersmom

stave river steelhead
« on: January 20, 2022, 06:38:13 PM »

Hey peeps,

I was wondering if January is a good month to go steelheading at the stave or if I should wait until later.

thanks!

avid angler

Re: stave river steelhead
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 07:40:10 PM »

Why don’t you go find out for yourself?

roeman

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 08:15:55 PM »

Why don’t you go find out for yourself?
Why do people need to be assholes?
The person asked a simple question, has only posted 7 times and you choose to give an dumb response instead of not posting at all.
Seems like alot of people forget what it was like when they first started something new, or had someone to show them when and where to fish.  Maybe they are new to the area, have never fished or caught a steelhead before. Don't know anyone else that fishes and this site is the only source of information. 
Hope you fall in the river and any bystanders yell  "get out yourself"

Are you fishin or catchin

Colersmom

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 09:26:39 PM »

The person asked a simple question, has only posted 7 times and you choose to give an dumb response instead of not posting at all.
Seems like alot of people forget what it was like when they first started something new, or had someone to show them when and where to fish.  Maybe they are new to the area, have never fished or caught a steelhead before. Don't know anyone else that fishes and this site is the only source of information. 
thank you for being such a kind person! you deserve to catch many fish every time you go to a new river!

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 10:06:53 PM »

I have not heard of people fishing steelhead at the stave but it is possible. I think the Vedder is a better option as they have a bigger stocking program as far as I'm aware. For Vedder, I heard March-April is best.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:09:35 PM »

X2

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 10:16:21 PM »

tends to be later though I have caught steelhead there in late December & January. They are stocked.  AA is right though. Go try it out. The Stave usually has good numbers of whitefish and often cutthroat (properly coastal cutthroat) plus the odd Bull trout.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 08:57:32 AM »

one second on google and it seems to provide enough for one to learn timing, If you went out once a week in February-march-Aprial, It seems like you will learn lots.

PACIFIC ANGLER FRIDAY FISHING REPORT: MARCH 6, 2020

Stave River Fishing Report
 The closer we move to spring, the better the Stave has been fishing. We’ve had a few reports of some fry hatching in the system over the past few weeks. Cutties and whitefish seem to be scattered throughout the whole system at this point.  Small trout spoons have been the ticket for conventional tackle whereas muddler minnows and flash flies were effective in grabbing the attention of the aggressive cutthroat. 

As for steelhead in the system, we’re rapidly approaching the peak of the run, and it shows. Every year a handful of lucky trout anglers hook into steelhead on light tackle, making this a great time to target them with proper float gear or your favourite 8wt rod.  Both bait and artificials have been producing fish.

Looking towards the weekend, we’ll see some warmer weather, creating ideal conditions for both  trout and steelhead in the system.  Don’t forget to stock up on fry patterns, as they’ll be the fly of choice on a sunny day.

Aidan Munro

Pacific Angler Friday Fishing Report: January 5, 2018

The Stave is another one to start looking at. All the crowds are gone from salmon season and there are way less dead fish littering the ground so it is quite pleasant. We have not heard any recent reports but in our journals our notes say this is the time to get out to catch white fish, bulltrout and cutthroat with egg imitations where the chum were spawning a few weeks ago.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 09:56:56 AM »

Get out there and poke around. One never knows what one might encounter. Good luck and tight lines!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 10:44:14 AM »

one second on google and it seems to provide enough for one to learn timing, If you went out once a week in February-march-Aprial, It seems like you will learn lots.

PACIFIC ANGLER FRIDAY FISHING REPORT: MARCH 6, 2020

Last year their report by late March stated they had heard of very few steelhead caught from the Stave. Steelhead numbers have been dropping off the cliff on most streams throughout the coast. The Skeena system was thought to have had about 1/10th of it's normal return this fall. In Washington some angling groups have started campaigns to convince anglers to refrain from fishing so those that return get a chance to spawn without any c&r related mortality or other negative effects from being released.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 12:21:38 PM »

In Washington some angling groups have started campaigns to convince anglers to refrain from fishing so those that return get a chance to spawn without any c&r related mortality or other negative effects from being released.
Also, many steelhead fisheries, even C&R, have been completely closed this year. The Nooksack hatchery fishery was closed, the Skagit/Sauk wild C&R fishery was closed, and nearly all rivers on the Olympic Peninsula were closed. Off topic, but does anyone know if there was a count of winter steelhead at Gold River for 2021? I really hope it has at least slightly improved.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 01:54:31 PM »

two snorkel counts on the Gold last March recorded 1 fish. I haven't heard anything about  a summer count though had heard there were very few fish in the Heber. Fishing success on the Stamp equals 1 fish per 12  trips. Murphy guiding reported 6 all season.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:22:01 AM by RalphH »

bj23

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »

+++

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 04:40:58 PM »

two snorkel counts on the Gold last March recorded 1 fish. I haven't heard anything about  a summer count though had heard there were very few fish in the Heber. Fishing success on the Stamp equals 1 fish per 12  trips. Murphy guiding reported 6 all season.
Wow, that is dismal. And on the Stamp - is that winter fish? Hatchery?

canucksfan233

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 10:44:35 PM »

Stamp is similar to vedder, wild and hatchery there