Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Teck Cominco Spill in the Columbia River  (Read 1167 times)

dennyman

• Old Timer
Teck Cominco Spill in the Columbia River
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:14:50 PM »

Heard about this spill on the radio, and read a bit more in the newspaper. Did a search on the web to get some more in depth information on the spill. The chemical spill occurred this Wednesday at the Smelting plant in Trail, lasted for approximately 4 hours. In total, 950 kilograms of lead, and 380 litres of Hydrofluoric acid were dumped into the river.  The acid is pretty nasty stuff so any fish or wildlife that got hit by it, probably died a pretty quick death. But what blows me away is how long the spill was. And the attitude by offiicials in that the highwater in the Columbia will dilute the effects of the spill. Excuse me but lead does not dilute, or am I missing something here.  I hope stiff fines get handed out to the company in question.  And on a fishing note, if you do plan on fishing the Columbia River, fish it upstream of Trail, not below it.

Dr. Backlash

Re: Teck Cominco Spill in the Columbia River
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:33:59 PM »

brutal!!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 08:34:35 PM »

The United States has been suing Teck Cominco for years to get them to clean up the hundreds of tons of lead arsenic spoils that have settled out in the Roosevelt Pool of the Columbia.  So far Teck Cominco has only agreed to study the issue.   >:(  

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 09:31:28 PM »

There doing an Brittania Beach/Annaconda mine thing. Wait upteen years so that you can't get the current shareholders to pay for any damage done. Then the people of BC or Canada will have to pay. Pretty disgusting stuff but if I remember right they just finished poisoning there employees a couple years ago.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?