Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon fishing info for Kitimat/Skeena area  (Read 1622 times)

peterupnorth

Salmon fishing info for Kitimat/Skeena area
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:34:54 PM »

Last few years have managed to put in a couple days in the fall, guided fishing in the ocean at Prince Rupert.  Did a little fishing on my own on the Skeena and so much enjoyed it.  Problem is I am 15 hour drive away, and haven't found any place on the net to find out just what current fishing conditions are like.  Postings are mostly in the south BC coast.  Is there anyone that lives in the Skeena area that would be willing to kick a few emails back and forth giving me some idea of when I might head out there?
(I'm up in the north Peace River area.)
Peter.

ShaunO

Re: Salmon fishing info for Kitimat/Skeena area
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »

Have you looked at Noel Gyger's website?

http://www.noelgyger.ca/

He's on the Skeena and regularly updates his website.

peterupnorth

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:09:52 AM »

Yes, thanks...I have and its of some help.  From seeing the 225 'views' to my post and only one reply seems to show how few people there seem to be from that area on the forums.
For example: I got a call from someone the other day asking about duck hunting at my place and told him I haven't seen any right now, but that there are presently lots of geese which he didn't want, so saved him a trip for another day.

banx

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 11:32:55 AM »

I'm from the area, send me an email and I will give you the names of some friends who guide.  the skeena and its tribs are better fished by jet boat and guide. seriously.... if you have no friends with a boat up there, or are willing to pay for such an adventure I would concentrate your time on the copper and kitimat..... you could always drive the highway to prince rupert and look for people parked along the highway. there are several bars that are easy walking access.

the kitimat is easy access and is best fished just off the highway. the lower river is polluted with tourists and their RV's. its actually gross to see. its all coho now, nice, big, healthy northerns.  hopefully the RV army is leaving as the coho derby is over now and usually marks the end of the tourist season there.

just my 2 cents but I never used the internet to fish when I lived in kitimat. my friends that live their still don't either. only one of my friends was aware of Noels site..... facebook and real life face to face interactions are how most people share their fishing intel. most grow up there riding their bikes to the river before they could drive.

there are some guys from up north on some of the fly fishing sites because of the boom in spey fishing. but definitely not many gear chuckers.

peterupnorth

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:18:56 AM »

Thank You, Banx.  Your response is exactly what I was looking for.  I will email you.

I understand the frustrations with the tourist invasion.  Years ago I saw them lined up shoulder to shoulder...that can't be fun.
It's the main reason I never go till school is back on.  And probably as much as the fishing, go to enjoy the beauty of the coastal region.