Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sight fishing steelhead?  (Read 1734 times)

GENERAL-SHERMAN

sight fishing steelhead?
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:41:52 PM »

seen some guys down in the canal across from the golf coarse  chasing v's in the shallows and repeatedly casting to a single fish chasing it upstream. i know one guy is a tuber and probably gets a lot of fish this way but should they be able to do this legally ??? what r your thoughts on this style of fishing and or how can it be fixed?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:46:27 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

the carp

Re: sight fishing steelhead?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:02:48 AM »

long as they are not snagging, nothing wrong with sight fishing.

tnt

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:45:43 AM »

sight fishing V s is pretty tough unless you really know what you are looking for and where the fish are stopping, rarely do you catch them as they V but more where they stop....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

the carp

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »

personally i have caught many fish in the canal over the years sight fishing v's as fish move up through a riffle. Casting my offering ahead of them as they enter a tailout, it can be quite frustrating though as many more go by without taking youre presentation.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:41:04 PM »

iv watched others do it and they dont just let the fish go by they force feed them and chase them upstream and repeatedly cast and if they don't take it the first few casts they drag their floats and floss them. so yah it is a problem  ::) and( the carp ) how long is this tailout because the one spot im talking about is 200-300 yards or so to the next run. mabye ill make a video this year so people can see how bad it really is!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 10:02:51 PM »

iv watched others do it and they dont just let the fish go by they force feed them and chase them upstream and repeatedly cast and if they don't take it the first few casts they drag their floats and floss them. so yah it is a problem  ::) and( the carp ) how long is this tailout because the one spot im talking about is 200-300 yards or so to the next run. mabye ill make a video this year so people can see how bad it really is!

the guy you were referring to that day is Gerry, and I doubt that anyone who knows him would say that he is force feeding fish, the guy floats about a foot deep. I mean what do you do when fishing a run that you know holds fish? pound it with everything you got, does not mean that you are force feeding fish, although plenty of that does go on.