Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoon Sizes  (Read 2057 times)

KarateKick

Spoon Sizes
« on: May 16, 2014, 04:10:49 PM »

What is the range of sizes (in ounces or grams) you use for each of the following?
1. Trout
2. Salmon
3. Other fish you target

fisherforever

Re: Spoon Sizes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 04:39:47 PM »

1/16th - 3/16th oz for trout and 2/5th - 1 oz for salmon

Ian Forbes

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 04:55:29 PM »

When I do use spoons I try to match the spoon to the size of the food that the fish might be feeding on. I seldom use spoons for trout, although I do know they work. Very often I catch trout when I am targeting other species... like salmon or steelhead. Cutthroat trout, Brown trout and the various chars are all predators and eat both salmon fry and small rainbows. A 5 pound Brown trout or Bull trout will eat a 10 inch trout. Cutthroat trout like their food slightly smaller. My favourite trout spoon would be 2 to 3 inches long. For salmon I prefer spoons from 3 inches to 5 inches. Occasionally, I will use 6 inch spoons that are long and skinny to imitate needlefish.

Golfer

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »

1. Small dick nites, or 1/8 ounce crocs for rainbows and 2/5 ounce rvrfshr's for bull trout.
2.  For coho I use 2/5 ounce rvrfshrs or 1/2 ounce kitimats

Ultimately the size of the spoon you will be using will also be determined by water clarity, depth and speed of flow.

Daguru

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:41:15 PM »

I like 1/4 crocs or 3/8-1/2 kohos for salmon

Archer

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 11:15:32 AM »

I like 1/4 crocs or 3/8-1/2 kohos for salmon

I agree.  Also small Gypsy spoons are great for Pikeminnow, and Trout.  The silver with red tip gives a nice fry look, that can be deadly.

As far as colours, ask a pro at the shop to get started.  Water clarity dictates colour as well.

marrington03

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »

3/16 or 1/4 oz in firetiger or hammered brass with orange for trout AND salmon seem to be the most productive for me, if I am fishing a spoon.

Generally, I like a small roostertail in silver or silver/blue for trout, and an aglia long in rainbow for salmon.