Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St. Mary Lake July 24-28  (Read 1326 times)

Willowbarkus

• I'm a llama!
St. Mary Lake July 24-28
« on: July 29, 2004, 10:15:32 PM »

We just got back from St. Mary Lake Saltspring Island yesterday. I got out on the lake for a few days. Caught a bunch of bass. Once I had two fish on the same line. I had hooked a smaller fish and a larger fish grabbed on to it. I had quite the batttle on my hands for awhile before the larger fish let go of the smaller one.
There are more weeds then there were last year. I was getting tired of taking weeds off of my fly by the end of each day.
Also the fish are not as plentiful or as large as they were last year. I only caught 2 larger sized bass and even they were not like last years fish. It was still fun catching what I did though.
I did try trolling deeper for trout but didn't get a nibble. I wanted to try the far side of the lake but had to come home unexpectedley so never made it.
Carole
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 01:02:20 AM by Rodney »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re:St. Mary Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 11:18:59 PM »

Sounds good Willow - Where did you stay?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 12:11:20 AM »

What's the limits on bass ?

Willowbarkus

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 12:24:30 AM »

We stayed at the Cedar Beach Resort. It is a great little resort with tenting areas and 1 or 2 bedroom cabins. It also has a pool and hot tub. If I'm not mistaken you also get the use of a boat with an electric motor for 2 hours each day that you stay there.
I don't know what the limit on Bass is. I always release them.
One morning there was a family of 4 otters playing by the wharf. They followed me along the weeds until I gave up fishing with them around and moved out to deeper water. It was pretty cool watching their antics for awhile.
I also saw the start of a forest fire. Luckily it got put out quickly. That fire sure could move fast! When it was going up the hill it was as if someone had used a flame thrower it went so fast.
Carole
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 12:27:30 AM by Willowbarkus »