Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dont you hate when this Happens...  (Read 10141 times)

Justin

Re: Dont you hate when this Happens...
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 10:01:19 PM »

Thats awesome.  I'v never seen that before!

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 10:23:32 PM »

One day, when someone doesn't have food to feed it, that docile deer may turn on someone... imagine the carnage ;D

White killer rabbit!!  ;D. Just like in Monty Python

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 11:33:32 AM »

Best thing you could have done is scare the deer back into the bush. 

Worst thing you could have done is dressed it up and took it home.

This is somewhere in between :)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »

it's one of those "once in a life time" opportunity to interact with a wild animal...i might have done the same thing, but unfortunately, they may have inadvertently passed a death sentence to that fawn...chances are their scent may have caused the mother to reject it or even abandon it...or like mentioned, made it lose it's chance to fear man.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 12:26:43 PM »

Everything aside those pictures are amazing!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:46:15 PM by Rodney »

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »

The scent would not have made the mother abandon it, based on the size this deer and time of year it is on its own, but looks quite emaciated. Fantastic photos, however; it is against the law to entice or feed wildlife and punishable under the wildlife act. Based on the way this animal behaved in the photos, this deer is doomed to die young do to their actions and previous interactions with people. It is highly unlikely that this is the deers first interaction with people and probably won't be the last but this does not condone the actions that took place. Give your heads a shake!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 12:51:30 PM »

Darn Walt Disney!  >:(

Again, we see avoidable ignorance in full (photo) display.
It shows that many young people keep heading out into the wilderness void of any common sense and blissfully unaware of the regulations.
One day it won't have a happy ending. There will be a cute wolf or bear cub approaching the angler...imagine the rest! ::)

That deer is as good as dead. In fact, I'd like the exact location so I can get a crack at it when it becomes legal to shoot it. It should be an easy shot.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 01:06:49 PM »

The scent would not have made the mother abandon it, based on the size this deer and time of year it is on its own, but looks quite emaciated.

actually, it's not emaciated...first indication is the thick baby fur that's slowly giving way to it's secondary layer (fur is always the first to deteriorate in starving animals)...second this fawn can't be more than 6 months old...they become more skiddish near the end of the weaning period...chances are, this fawn may have wandered too far from it's mother... or worse case scenario, it's mother was killed recently.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »

first its hair not fur. Take a look at the chest of the deer and how much of the hip bones are showing, they should be full and not showing at all. I have worked hands on with deer and many other exotics since I was 10 and that is not a healthy looking animal. also fur is not always the first to deteriorate, it is with many diseases but rarely with emaciation. I have observed many many animals in which the fur/hair appears normal and in good condition and yet the animal is severely emaciated with hip bones, chest and ribs showing.Also to say it is no more than 6 months...this very well could be a stunted deer or smaller animal, I agree it is younger but to say its no more than 6 months  ::). Deer fawns will start weaning at 6-8 weeks and are typically fully weaned at 12 weeks. A wild deer will always be skiddish no matter of how old, they will either hide or flee depending on the age. It is highly unlikely that this deer still has or is with its mother due to the behaviour. A mother deer will typically abandon a youngster that is habituated towards people.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »

They are made up of the same thing much like finger nails and horns, but yet refer to something different. All mammals have hair but when referring to an animal they have hair or fur. The difference being the pattern of growth. There is secondary hair which refers to the hair that helps to regulate body temperature, and repels water, and primary hair which is typically coarser and longer than secondary hair which acts as a barrier for insects, twigs etc.  Animals that are referred to as having fur have both primary and secondary hair whereas animals that have hair have only one of these types of hair. ex) polar bears have fur , humans have hair.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »

Haha no way! where was mama.
[

fishgutz63

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 05:33:20 PM »

great pics,looks like the fawn has had some human contact,but to all them folks that are worried about its eventual demise just remember that nothing goes to waste in nature ,so lighten up folks its not the end of the world. >:(

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »

No offense but if everyone had that thought process there would be no animals left. If you see someboby molesting a thompson steelhead and dragging it up on the beach would you say the same thing?