Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How much do you fish??  (Read 5970 times)

cglasgow

How much do you fish??
« on: October 18, 2015, 08:12:27 AM »

Maybe this has been asked before, but ill throw it out there anyway, how much does everyone fish??? Days/week or hours/outing.....I think about fishing all day and cant wait until the next time i can get out there, but i never get out as much as id like. I haven't caught many fish since i picked up this hobby, not from lack of effort or passion, but more from other obligations and life demands. Just wondering how many hours some others put in, I sometimes toy with idea of just becoming a fish bum with no house or family, hitch-hiking to the next fishing hole, guess ill have to wait until retirement!   

Nicolas The Fisherman

Re: How much do you fish??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 09:11:19 AM »

Usually during the salmon/steelhead season, I try to fish atleast 4-5 times a week and most trips are between 3-6 hours long. I sometimes go every day whether it be in the morning or afternoon when my work schedule permits. Basically, I'm out there whenever I have the chance ;D

West

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 09:41:16 AM »

Not enough.
But now that I'm semi-retired things should pick up.   Just picked up a boat and I'm studying depth charts for local lakes.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:02:32 AM »

right now about 2x a week. When the local season winds down it will go down to once or less. Right now I am semi-retired - I work a couple of days or so a week and have 2 or 3 days excluding weekends and stats. When I was working full time it varied from 1 -3 times a month when my children were young (both adults now) to not at all with some time filed in on vacations.

I live close to Vancouver so a drive up the valley more than 2 to 3 times a week really isn't practical plus there's always stuff to do around the house, my wife who deserves more time than what I fish and family demands.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

tim3500

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »

About 100 days a year I fish 12 months a year . I hunt also so there goes another 30 days

mcallagan

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 12:18:50 PM »

Not enough.
But now that I'm semi-retired things should pick up.   Just picked up a boat and I'm studying depth charts for local lakes.
Studying depth charts for lakes.......I hope you have an account at the "Angler's Atlas"
They have lots of Bathmetric (sp) maps on line and printable.

http://www.anglersatlas.com/

West

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 12:35:07 PM »

Studying depth charts for lakes.......I hope you have an account at the "Angler's Atlas"
They have lots of Bathmetric (sp) maps on line and printable.

http://www.anglersatlas.com/

I get mine from SharpHooks 
http://www.sharphooks.com/tripplanner.aspx?subpage=lakeinfo&lake=buntzen+lake+-+south&lakeid=133

* I just joined Anglersatlas as well, good detailed maps ... thanks
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:43:53 PM by West »

TimL

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 12:48:57 PM »

Currently 1-3x a week 10-11 months a year. That's for all target species, not just salmon. Of course this number might change with new target species, methods, time, etc

Tangles

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 01:24:26 PM »

Having 1.5 and 3.5 year olds waiting for me at home is definitely putting a brake on fishing opportunities right now but I still manage to average 1-2 trips a week consistently year-round. I usually fish first light to about 12-2pm. Fortunately my days off are during the week so I never fish on weekends or Fridays (just as bad).

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »

50-60 days a year, starting in Feb. and ending in Nov.   always start first light till around 3pm.
A 2 and 4 year old at home with a another on the way.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 07:12:30 PM »

Lol ive fished since thursday 12+ hours a day. start in the lower for cohos at first light then at around 2:00pm go to upper and fish for springs until 5-6pm.

I normally go out 2-3 times a week.

243Pete

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »

2-3 if lucky 4 times a week, generally I take my vacation time off around this time of year or a bit earlier in the case of pinks.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »

When I was kid, as often as I could; every weekend and after school.  When I started working at Cultus Lake I fished before work, at lunch (with Buck), and after work.  I would always schedule holidays for early steelhead and would fish from dark to dark, as I did every weekend.
Got married in the early 80’s and fished less but still consistently; after work and a few hours every weekend till about 2007 when I retired.  Figured I would fish a lot more then … and did for a few years and caught enough.  Then I lost the bug … don’t even hold a license today.  All in all about 50 years of angling, mainly on the C-V.
I guess after fishing for, and working with fish for most of my life, it’s more a moral issue with me as my DFO job made me responsible for the deaths of many thousands of salmon, all for the science of the day.  I do believe all fish served to further our knowledge of Fraser River salmon but I have lost any desire to harass any more during my life time.
I still enjoy watching responsible anglers fish but deplore what most fishers seem to practice nowadays.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 09:56:46 PM »

Wow Dave,

You seem like you'd be the ultimate fishing buddy:)

I've been trying to go about once a week, but I don't have wheels so I either cajole fishing pals or borrow/rent a ride.

Though how much is actually fishing as opposed to

-untangling
-retying
-unknotting
-unsnagging
-etc...

Is anyone's guess. I have fish in the freezer, but I'd hate to calculate what they're worth...;)

John Revolver

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »

I am out at least once every weekend. Have been for the last 3 years.