Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: heavy-beads  (Read 2136 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
heavy-beads
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:41:12 AM »

-- heavy-beads... anyone tried them or use something similar?
--I've used plastic and soft plastic single beads for drifting or even larger fly.
--the heavy-beads are glass or ceramic thus have some weight to them so they would drift different and may reduce the amount of weight needed to fish them.
--I ordered an assortment package... different sizes and colours to give them a try... haven't recieved them yet

Daguru

Re: heavy-beads
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:01:36 PM »

Not really a bead but iv had some luck the the waighted cheaters and yarn 

wallygator24

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:27:23 PM »

I have had success with heavy beads.  Mainly in clearer water.  Just make sure to peg them  an inch or two from the hook.  I also run a little longer leader than usual when presenting them.  Usually when a steelie goes for them its a slam!  Aggressive bobber down action.  I have even caught quite a bit of trout with them too. 

KarateKick

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »

I have had success with heavy beads.  Mainly in clearer water.  Just make sure to peg them  an inch or two from the hook.

What happens if you put it right above the hook?

What colour beads do you use?

wallygator24

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:11:46 PM »

You want to stay away from putting it right on the hook because you want to protect the fish.  They really hit them hard and swallow them.  By placing them an inch to two inches above the hook you are more likely to hook them on the lips or some where else when you set the hook.  I have had success with a light pink milky egg UV bead with swirl markings on them.