Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bank fishing the Harrison???  (Read 3458 times)

Sandy

• Old Timer
bank fishing the Harrison???
« on: October 18, 2004, 07:07:23 PM »

havn't spent much time in the Harrison area apart from the odd trip to the chehalis.Are there some decent spots to bank fish (fly and spinner) for cuts coho etc.? looking to try some new areas.My partner has hung up his waders, age and fed up with the B.S. on the vedder/chilliwack. he's fished those areas since the mid sixties.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: bank fishing the Harrison???
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 03:43:45 PM »

Later on in the season (2 weeks or so...), the golf-club area can be quite productive, just wade out into the flats and start casting, you'll be able to see fish, try casting to them and see what happens. Also, wading down to the mouth of the rivers where it meets the Fraser can be quite productive, and there's more of a chance to hook a spring, or any other fish that venture briefly into the Harrison clear water.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Nostro

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:54:47 AM »

There are some good cutty spots under the Lougheed Hwy. bridge. Some Ho's also venture into those runs. Good luck.
Never look a fish in the eye.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 04:33:04 PM »

thanks guys ,
just looking for some peaceful fishing,fedup with full contact angling on the chilli/vedder.actually saw an older guy in his early seventies getting hassled by a couple of fishing thugs at the gun barrel on sunday. they shut up and finally moved off when 1/2 a dozon or so others stood up for the old guy.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 05:14:09 PM »

The Harrison is a very wide and shallow river, so you can wade a long way and get away from the crowds, there are fish all over the systm, so if you want to be away from crowds, it's easy to hike, and it's a beautiful area to hike too. Me and dad came accross bear tracks a few times when hiking before we got the boat.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Dale9

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 07:29:42 PM »

Sure, tons of spots to bank fish on the Harrison.  I've caught plenty doing that.  HOWEVER, I think that the #1 rule to catching LOTS of fish on the Harrison is to use a boat.  I do way better when I use a boat.  But it's at least twice the work in packing for the trip.

I used to fish on the north side of the river, immediately upstream from the highway bridge.

Also, they do catch decent numbers of PINKS (next year) by walking along the water (Indian land so stay right next to the water) from the train bridge all the way down to the mouth where it meets the Fraser (but don't do quite as far as that rip-rap where the muddy Fraser is, stay in the clear Harrison, where you see the fish rising the most.)

Fun!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 08:15:13 PM »

Thanks dale9,
should get some time off for good behavior this weekend.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 08:49:07 AM »

If walking down from Kilby, how is the access?  I was under the impression that this area is reserve land and not accessable by non-native fishermen.  Is the local band tolerant of people walking along the water there?