Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Polar Bear Fur  (Read 10040 times)

newflyguy

Polar Bear Fur
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »

Does anyone know the legalities on using polar bear fur for tying flies.  I hear its a great material because of its strength and because its hollow and floats.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Polar Bear Fur
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:44:07 PM »

polar bear is used because it has a clearish(even the coloured stuff is kinda clear) look to it and a certain sheen to it that fish like. I only see it used as wings or dubbing. Real polar bear is expensive stuff but there is a few synthetics or substitues for it that also work well. I personally dont buy the stuff cause its not worth the money for such a small chunk of it  :-\

Have fun with the stuff but be careful if you wanna use it across the border because its illegal in the USA and might also be in Canada but im not sure about that (even thought i think its not)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »

I got your pm but i cant reply so i will have to answer you here. If you can get it at a good price then yes it is the best to tie with, there is no perfect substitute for Polar Bear and yes i do use it a little bit for a few patterns. I just dont buy much and it takes me awhile to use it up, if i used it for what i would like to a chunk would be gone in a dozen flies which would get pricey.

did i mention you can spin the PB hair in a dubbing loop and brush it out then wrap it like a hackle ??? Well you can and it looks and works great in big Intruders  ;D it works nicely as the "bump" to flare out your other materials. I would like to use it this way more but instead i use Artic Fox instead because its only $2.50 per chunk  :o
Check out our new blog

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:15:39 PM »

I would like to see some pics of these flies u tie hook as well as a picture demo of how to dub with poler hair....(interested for steelhead intruders). have you ever used goat fur to tie with?? i have a 2'by 2' piece that Im considering using.

James

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:09:15 AM »

this is probably a dumb question , but can you just buy polar bear fur at the local fly shops ?  :-[

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:48:52 PM »

yes you can buy PB locally but like i said its not cheap if you want the good stuff (long hair fibres) you can also buy the cheaper stuff but for around $5 for a 2" X 2" chunk its expensive still when it doesnt go far.

you have to use a dubbing loop to use PB hair as dubbing, this is great because its WAY stronger and you can brush it out (with a dubbing brush or velcro, i use a toothbrush) and then wrap it and wrap each turn tightly against the one before it. Do this same method for Fox hair, goat, etc.... I even spin things like ostrich, lady amherst, etc ........

look at the few in my album done with Arctic Fox hair, you probably have to have Facebook to view though

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150362032400790&set=a.10150191885590790.441303.549240789

If you still want a tutorial then it will take me a day or so to get it up for you guys.
Check out our new blog

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:55:18 PM »

You'll find it in most shops.  I was at Berry's  about a month ago and they had a good selection of colours.  One of the guys told me that it doesn't sell very fast, as he felt that most are using alternative materials. 

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:44:40 PM »

link doesn't work hook. and yes tutorials.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 12:55:25 AM »

ok explain what you want and i will try to get it up over the weekend  ;)
Check out our new blog

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »

tying intruders with polar bear fur would be interesting.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:27 PM »

well here is a couple that are tied with Arctic Fox and you can see how the fur flares everything out very well.

all you guys want is a "how to" on spinning fur in a loop ?
Check out our new blog

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 02:32:03 PM »

Those are beauties Hook!  Nice tie  ;D 8)

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »

those look killer. thanks for the pics hook.... what kind of flashabou or tinsel is that in both your flies? I like how it looks multi colored.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:09:01 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 09:50:50 PM »

All these flies have PB spun in them. Some have the long gaurd hairs picked out in order to tone down the profile a bit.

These next few flies are tied with just the underfur from the PB.

Fish killer 101

speycaster

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »

Really like that last one. ;D