Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: beginner in fly fishing...  (Read 6296 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: beginner in fly fishing...
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »

Easier to learn flycasting with a floating line, and if you beat that line  up during practise sessions no worries.  My two cents worth.

Funny - I found (and still do) it harder to cast a floating line well in comparison to a full sink or sink tip.  The sinking lines just feel like they do more natural loading on the rod.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 02:17:38 PM »

Dragon speed, what you might want to do is to move up a line weight and see how the floating line feels. Sometimes a rod feels better casting with a heavier weight line.  Not for every rod mind you, but for those in which feeling the rod load is difficult.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 10:57:05 PM »

Murmillo, if you're in the chilliwack area, and want to practice, I'm not an instructor but have taught a few friends and a wife to cast. Let me know if your interested we could meet up somewhere.

Murmillo

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 07:02:15 AM »

After 5 days I managed some time to do my first practice session.. :) went to a field just before sunset… I found that I am able to swing 30 ft line but when I try to shoot the fly.. all 30 ft line rest 10 ft infront of me. Making a coil of flyline, leaded, tippet and fly…. :-\ :-[ ??? 

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions.. special thanks to “Jamison Jay”… unfortunately I live in Vancouver but if I manage to go to Chilliwack definitely I will try to contact you. :)

Somewhere in this section I saw that somebody helps to practice (free..) flyfishing at Stevestone, Richmond. Does anybody know the exact location and time?