Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trolling for trout with a canoe on lakes  (Read 11289 times)

Jazza

trolling for trout with a canoe on lakes
« on: May 25, 2009, 04:41:16 PM »

Is there anyone out there who has done this with a spinning rod?  I have read of lots of people using fly rods, but as I never catch anything with a fly rod, I thought I might try with a spinning rod!

If so, do you prefer a three-way swivel with a weight and lure, or something like a Luhr-Jensen Troll Easy, or something different??
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:53:25 PM by Jazza »

colin6101

Re: trolling for trout with a canoe on lakes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »

I troll fly rods as well as ultralight spinning setups out of my kayak on local lower mainland trout lakes and have always had good success with a wedding band/worm combination with either a couple of split shot 18inches or so above the wedding band or using one of those twist on lead weights. When doing this I just use a two way swivel to attach the wedding band to your mainline (I use 4pound test for my wedding bands).  When I am targeting kokanee I find that I have more hits trolling small red and orange spoons. I've always had the best luck with orange, yellow and pink wedding bands but I have found that sometimes you can use just about any colour while other days only one will produce, so it helps to carry a variety. Anyways it's definitely possible to do, but don't give up on the fly rod entirely, there's no better feeling then watching a trout jump for your fly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:31:39 PM by colin6101 »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 08:57:39 PM »

Ive found trolling in Allouette lake and rolley in a canoe ( thanks Canoeman) worls pretty well, I usually run a flyrod and a spinning rod.
for Kokannee I use a small 2 oz or 1 oz banana trolling weight and a long light leader with a fly
and on Rolly I use a small blue fox spinner with bait, power or worm.
seems to work ok, i like the flyrod in the rod holder and the light spinning outfit wedged somewhere at my feet

Johnny_5

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 08:17:42 AM »

I do this all the time.  I just use a regular snap swivel, and split shot, or the lead weights with the rubber in them if necessary. For lures, wedding bands, spinners, flatfish, willow leafs, etc. There are a lot of options.  With the canoe, its important to vary your speed, and get the hook action right.

jimmywits

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:38:16 AM »

Is there anyone out there who has done this with a spinning rod?  I have read of lots of people using fly rods, but as I never catch anything with a fly rod, I thought I might try with a spinning rod!

If so, do you prefer a three-way swivel with a weight and lure, or something like a Luhr-Jensen Troll Easy, or something different??
I am not sure that switching rod types is the answer to not catching any fish. I troll fly's allot and usually do very well. Before I would abandon your fly rod, I would try using diffrent lines. If your not catching any fish it is most likely because your at the wrong depth and or your using the wrong bug, or your troll speed is to fast or to slow, usually the former. I always carry 4 diffrent types of line on separate reels. A heavy sink type 3 sinking line, an intermediate transparent sinking line, a type 2 sinking tip line, and finally a dry floating line. It is not as much about what method you employ as it is about knowing what the fish are likely feeding on and at what depth, and where abouts on the lake. There is no feeling like hooking a nice trout and fighting it on just a little weightless fly.  Good luck to you.

Johnny_5

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »

I am not sure that switching rod types is the answer to not catching any fish. I troll fly's allot and usually do very well. Before I would abandon your fly rod, I would try using diffrent lines. If your not catching any fish it is most likely because your at the wrong depth and or your using the wrong bug, or your troll speed is to fast or to slow, usually the former. I always carry 4 diffrent types of line on separate reels. A heavy sink type 3 sinking line, an intermediate transparent sinking line, a type 2 sinking tip line, and finally a dry floating line. It is not as much about what method you employ as it is about knowing what the fish are likely feeding on and at what depth, and where abouts on the lake. There is no feeling like hooking a nice trout and fighting it on just a little weightless fly.  Good luck to you.

True, but it is always a good thing to have the option available.  I usually have both with me, and vary my approach as I see fit.

Jazza

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »

I do this all the time.  I just use a regular snap swivel, and split shot, or the lead weights with the rubber in them if necessary. For lures, wedding bands, spinners, flatfish, willow leafs, etc. There are a lot of options.  With the canoe, its important to vary your speed, and get the hook action right.

Thanks all.

Johhny5 and colin6101, so if I understand you right (and please excuse my ignorance as I'm back into fishing after a 25 year layoff!!) your setup is simply mainline, weight, with swivel at the end of the mainline connected directly to the lure?  Or is it main line, swivel, then leader attached to swivel with the lure on the end of the leader?

Have you found it more effective to use some form of gang troll between the swivel and the lure, or would that only be used if you were trolling quite deep in a large lake?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:20:25 PM by Jazza »

colin6101

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 02:29:50 PM »

Thats my basic setup that i use when trolling spoons. With wedding bands I usually have them on a leader since I tie my own up anyways, you can usually just use the store bought ones attached directly to the swivel. Using additional trolls can be effective in certain areas but are not always neccessary. I've found that on larger lakes and especially when Im targeting kokanee I have better luck using a troll between my lure and mainline, but on smaller lakes for rainbows and cuthroat I don't usually end up using them at all.

Jazza

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 03:18:25 PM »

Thanks for the great advice Colin6101!  I'll be trying that out with my son in the next couple of weeks.  This will be his first fishing experience, so I want to maximize my chances of hooking fish and getting him hooked!

Jazza

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »

Its easy to go too fast with a canoe. Make sure to slow down.
Thanks jimzuk.

waterboy

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 09:37:59 PM »

I second that opinion, most of my hook up while trolling come from going super slow almost a drift them short burst of paddling back to a drift.

Good Luck! :)

salmon river

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 05:17:03 PM »

When I row my boat, I troll just a wedding band with a maggot or worm on one rod and a fly with the other. Chromonoids (sp?) should work well this time of year.

colin6101

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 12:57:06 AM »

I was just out yesterday trolling wedding bands on a lake near harrison and noticed almost all of my bites were from short bursts of speed as well, while I received more bites on the fly when I was trolling a constant speed (bead headed wholly bugger).

captainzippy

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »

Yes,
Trolling in a canoe works very well. the paddling of the canoe gives whatever you are using some nice action. Wedding band and worm works well

Flish-Flon

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 06:34:40 AM »

I've been fishing like this for years using a double willow leaf and worm. I found a replacement to the willow leaf at Riverside called the booster blade, it has counter rotating blades, emits a clacking sound and releases scent, it's killer at any speed!
With my worm I use a long shank hook, leave a little longer tag end for this trick, with 1/2 a dew worm thread your hook through the cut and back out 1/8" in and then right back in just under your out, now thread the hook through your worm and out when you feel the distance is right for you hook length. To finish pop the eye of the hook through your first hole in the worm (the long tag will hold it there) it takes some practice but when you get it the presentation is killer! good luck