Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Still trying to motor up the Upper Pitt -- inflatable with shallow water drive?  (Read 6826 times)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.

10,500 $ this could be yours, will solve all of your pitt river problems.

HOOK

• Old Timer

have you got a new sled JBJ ? I like that one especially with the scenery  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs

Just in case you haven't been on the lake on a windy day, watch this....I wasn't there that day, but I have been on the lake on a similar day. Pretty wild!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBEXxYKEkg8

typhoon

• Old Timer

An inflatable is too unforgiving. If you make a mistake and hit a rock or snag it can rip wide open.
Whitewater rafts are strong enough to handle most water but obviously aren't suitable for motoring.
I have a 12.5' Hypalon inflatable and I wouldn't consider running white water with it.

bmj9

Heh,
That video was taken right beside a cabin I used to own on Pitt Lake at Debeck Creek, up near where you want to go. I would not go up there in under an 18 ft. boat. It can be ok, but it can also be very trecherous. The wind usually picks up in the afternoon. I now live near Princ Rurt on the ocean, and Pitt Lake can kick my friend on a bad day just like the waters up here.

take care

marmot

• Old Timer

Heh,
That video was taken right beside a cabin I used to own on Pitt Lake at Debeck Creek, up near where you want to go. I would not go up there in under an 18 ft. boat. It can be ok, but it can also be very trecherous. The wind usually picks up in the afternoon. I now live near Princ Rurt on the ocean, and Pitt Lake can kick *** on a bad day just like the waters up here.

take care

Thats what weather reports are for......plan ahead and it should be fine.  The only time you're likely to get stuck in bad weather is when you take a chance with the reports and get screwed.  These days it's pretty easy to plan a safe outing weather-wise.

bmj9

I went up there for 10 years. We have weather reports in Prince Rupert too. Pitt Lake is narrow, and the wind is not that predictable. People do go up in canoes, and small boats regularly, I think it is too risky. Fog can also be troublesome, but not as frequently as the wind. Anyway it is a beautiful place. If you do go, I would have to agree with previous posts that a mountain bike from the dock at the far end is the way to go.

In any event, have a great day

fish bonk

Just watch the video,s on utube. There were plenty of jet boats hitting bottom and logs. Your life is not worth a fish!!! Hire a guide they are much cheaper than a sunk boat or a funeral. ;D   

Call Garry at Riverside fly and tackle he will hook you up!

Eagleye

• Old Timer

~~~~~~~~
...On the first bench seat I have a fish finder mounted and am still trying to figure out how I can secure 2 downriggers I have...
The only practical way to attach downriggers is to have them somehow attached to the transom I've seen some great looking custom rigs but they didn't look cheap.

My donwriggers are pedestal swivel mount and my transom is already cluttered with a gas motor, electric and luanching wheels.  Was thinking of joining the two seats together with dowels or something to prevent the seats from twisting forwards from the pull of the riggers,  my mounting seat is a thick piece of oak so I'm thinking if I make the front seat out of oak and the joiners that the torsion would keep it in place.  Usually there would be someone sitting in the front seat to hold it down.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:26:22 PM by Eagleye »