Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stealing Crab Traps Oct.8  (Read 2172 times)

Fisherking

Stealing Crab Traps Oct.8
« on: October 09, 2005, 03:19:59 PM »

Took some family out crabbing yesterday.While we were watching the traps from Barrnet Marine Park we  saw a 30' white boat with maroon covers and bridge slowly move by our first trap and then begin pulling up our second trap.  We shot out to see what the problem was and to our suprise it was some guy with his wife and two small children preparing to remove our crabs and most likely the entire set up.

His explanation was that he lost a trap in the same spot last week.  Ya right!  What a great way to teach the kids about fishing.  I think I saw the boat come out of Reed Point,  so be on the lookout for these pirates of the sea.

PS  Salmon heads work better for crab bait than Trout heads.

Good luck fishing.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
Re: Stealing Crab Traps Oct.8
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 06:09:05 PM »

Your float is supposed to be clearly marked with your name and phone number according to the regulation.

Do that, and if you find someone with a hand on your rope, you know instantly whether or not they are theives, and they can't make any claims as to otherwise.

By the way, sailboaters are the worst in English Bay. They steal crabs since it usually is a bunch of punks using other peoples boats, and they think it's cool since they never get out on their own boat and don't have any money...even to buy crab traps.

Futhermore, sailboaters even think they have the right of way when they are on an unofficial race course using navigational markers as part of the course.

As for you theives out there, one day, someone's going to steal a lot more than a crab trap from you.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 07:37:54 PM »

You would think a guy that owns a 30' boat could afford to buy the crabs. :(

Fisherking

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 07:58:53 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm aware of the the thieves on the highseas:  I was just venting and trying to make people more aware.

My floats are clearly marked and very distinctive.

By the way it was a powerboat who tried to  bump us away when we first approached.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 08:24:35 PM »

I had same problem before. Almost lost my crab trap if I wasn't lucky got there just in time.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 10:04:53 AM »

That's where you note the "K" number of the boat, and file a police report, and contact Fisheries and Oceans Canada and file a fisheries complaint. Betcha those morons didn't even have a license either.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 02:32:56 PM »

i often work with prosthetics in my line of work (effects for film)...it would be GREAT to throw a prosthetic arm in a crabtrap for those guys and just watch them haul it up and freak out

blueback

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 03:28:42 PM »

That description matches the one a friend of mine and myself gave the RCMP last year. We saw the guy (through binoculars) haul my buddies trap up and as he was starting to remove crabs, he saw us racing toward him. He then dropped the traps and he and his little sons sped off toward the north shore (this took place off Jerico Beach). I reallly feel bad for the kids with an old man like that.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 01:06:03 AM »

Mine incident happened in Porpoise Bay. Guess that type of person can be everywhere. >:(

yammy5

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 09:13:22 AM »

Had similar problems so I ended up getting a used commercial trap that is so heavy it takes 2 guys to haul it up.  Nobody messes with it and it certainly does the job in the crab department. 

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/yammy5/134_3456

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 09:17:41 AM »

take me to the boat at night with my dive gear and a decent drill  ;)
You don't make friends with salad.