Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River Parking/Access?  (Read 6287 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Stave River Parking/Access?
« on: March 12, 2016, 08:34:51 PM »

Hey all, I want to check out the lower Stave River in the next couple of weeks. Looks like nice scenery. The Hydro website said that the picnic area and facilities south of the dam are closed through 2018 for some dam job they're doing. I "drove" around in Google streetview to find parking but didn't spot anywhere obvious, other than Ruskin Park, which is covered in construction materials in the satellite photo.

Anyone have any tips on where to park that is near-ish to some decent shore access during the rec area closure? Thanks :D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: Stave River Parking/Access?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 01:07:56 AM »

The east side is most affected by the dam construction. You park outside of a sign with forbidden parking beyond it on Hayward St. on the east side, and walk about 2 km to the fishing spots near the dam. The west side has some spots to park but most spots along the side have clear sign of forbidden parking or be towed. Just look for those signs and don't park illegally or risk towing. The access to the river from the west side is much closer than the east, but you need to park at places without no-parking sign. Tight line.

drh

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »

Do people ever get towed?It looks like everyone parks next to the no parking signs on the west side and takes their chances

redfishbluefish

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »

I parked there in the fall without issue.  Some of the no parking signs have arrows pointing in both directions, while others have one of the arrows covered up.  I parked on the covered up arrow side.  Not sure if the city covered the arrows or if someone just put a sticker over them but I wasn't towed.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »

I parked there in the fall without issue.  Some of the no parking signs have arrows pointing in both directions, while others have one of the arrows covered up.  I parked on the covered up arrow side.  Not sure if the city covered the arrows or if someone just put a sticker over them but I wasn't towed.

They have fixed all the signs, no more easy parking west side. There's a couple spots with a long walk to good fishing though.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »

It's not that busy but you will hike for a bit anyways.
More slimy hiking on the east side.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »

It is not that busy now, but come Fall when the chums are back, it is a gong show every day, lol.

243Pete

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 03:53:01 AM »

It is not that busy now, but come Fall when the chums are back, it is a gong show every day, lol.
The insane gong show that happens every fall there, last year wasn't to bad but I only went twice.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »

Thanks for the info! I'll try later this week. Was thinking of trying the East side first... can I still access the picnic area by foot if I park a ways down the road?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »

Picnic area is fenced off. You have to cut down to the river before you reach the gate and walk along the mud and mess unless the waters low enough to cross.  It is a hike though.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »

Yeup! It is a long 2km walk if you park outside of the no-parking warning on Hayward St. You need wader if you want to cross the channel. Garden boots will be ok on the north side of the channel when the water is low but it is indeed a long and messy walk.