Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower fraser  (Read 15874 times)

sg6804

Lower fraser
« on: August 23, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »

As the natives have an opening today in the lower river could this mean that a sport opening might happen this week in the tidal fraser. As it is very rare that sockeye are caught in lower river  if not when might we expect a shot for pinks in the tidal fraser
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:50:57 AM by sg6804 »

juno

Re: Lower fraser
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 09:01:13 PM »

who knows, I was at the river yesterday  to take my dog for a swim.  I didn't see any fish jumping, so  another week or two maybe

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »

If it's rare why then do they open it for commercial boats at times?

But I would think a selective opening would be on the horizon.

kevzabob

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:21:28 PM »

Mostly their fishing for chinooks.. The pinks will probably open for sport fishing in a couple weeks or first of sept.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 02:53:17 PM »

Saw lots of sockeye jumping in English bay yesterday, my guess would be tidal Fraser opens just before the long weekend and non tidal shortly after.

hrenya

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 04:05:50 PM »

saw few pinks yesterday in Richmond , not jumping , just showing their backs , in Richmond .

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:47:11 PM »

The net opening you saw on the weekend was a communal chinook salmon opening for Lower Fraser River First Nations, not commercial.

Don't be surprised if recreational pink salmon fishing opening does not open in a week. The late summer sockeye salmon run is tracking at below the P50 forecast as well and if it is a lot lower like what the summer run has been, similar management measures like the total salmon fishing closure will continue.

redder

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »

The net opening you saw on the weekend was a communal chinook salmon opening for Lower Fraser River First Nations, not commercial.

Don't be surprised if recreational pink salmon fishing opening does not open in a week, or at all, from now. The late summer sockeye salmon run is tracking at below the P50 forecast as well and if it is a lot lower like what the summer run has been, similar management measures like the total salmon fishing closure will continue.

any good news ? ...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 07:05:08 PM »

Not really. :)

fishbuster

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 09:24:52 PM »

Only good news is some rain forecast this weekend. 

bbwong

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 12:10:38 AM »

Don't be surprised if recreational pink salmon fishing opening does not open in a week, or at all, from now. The late summer sockeye salmon run is tracking at below the P50 forecast as well and if it is a lot lower like what the summer run has been, similar management measures like the total salmon fishing closure will continue.

I don't understand why they close lower Fraser for pink. As all we know by-catching sockeye is super rare and hard in the lower Fraser.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »

Someone can correct me if I have it wrong, but I would guess it has more to do with closing/restricting the FN and commercial fishing to protect vulnerable stocks like sockeye. The sporties are not going to get a recreational opportunity ahead of the FN/comms so if they remain closed, so do we.

You’re right though, that getting sockeye by rod and reel in the lower Fraser is very unlikely, but unfortunately that’s not the issue.

If I recall (again correct me if I’m wrong) the late summer sockeye run goes into late September, so in the worst case scenario, could we not potentially see the closure in place until nearly October?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »

That's correct DanL. When stocks are low and no fish are available for First Nations' communal fishery openings, recreational fisheries are closed to eliminate any incidental by-catches which the FNs would have been catching if there were openings. The late summer run estimate so far is similar to the summer run, that's why I would not be surprised if it doesn't open as early as people would like it. At the same time, your representatives at the SFAC have been busy advocating for an opening with DFO, for the reason which bbwong has pointed out.

sg6804

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 11:10:14 AM »

is there a website for SFAC

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »

Just a FYI page:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/smon/sfab-ccps/reg-tor-man-eng.htm

If you are looking for information like meeting minutes etc, I don't think those are available on the website.