Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shimano Calais DC Baitcaster....if you've won a lottery recently!  (Read 6894 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer

I took my Calcuta TE in for servicing in case I decide to fish sockeye this year and was talking to the guy there that does all the repair/service work.  He showed me his reel of choice...Calais TE DC (11 ball bearing reel).  It sells for $800 plus taxes!  :o  Can't believe anyone would pay that for a baitcaster.  None of my centre pins or my Islander LX fly reels came even close to that!  Be nice to try one out though.

I'll tell you...I'm very impressed with Shimano's service on rods.  I wouldn't have even thought they warrantied lower priced rods.  I took in a Convergence rod that I got for my wife a few years back that she managed to break in the car door.  It was well used but in good condition.  I was hoping to replace the tip but they replaced the whole thing with a up to date model for free.... no questions asked! :)  I've got to pay $40 for any replacement parts for any of my Sages!

BTW, the service guy said STAY away from buying the Calcutta Concords.  As nice a reel as they are they can't service them in Canada because they don't have the parts since they are only supposed to be sold in Japan.... which is the only place they can be serviced.  Good to know because I almost bought one once.

charles

Re: Shimano Calais DC Baitcaster....if you've won a lottery recently!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:29:57 PM »

Calais DC is a real nice reel.  Shop around and you can get it cheaper than 800 + tax...  But I believe that is more for a pro or collection item since this is a first digital lowprofile reel.

Did you get those done in Deep Blue?  They are very nice.  I stop by often to chat and see what else is new...  They do have very good service and many many parts in stock.  My reel is already on the list of no more parts avaiable even from Shimano since it is an much older model but guys in deep blue manage to find the part for me so I can still use my chronarch lowprofile...

As you already mention, JDM model reel can't be service here.  You have to buy the part yourself and hopefully the North American model part is the same as JDM one... (most likely it will be).

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »

You can get them from the U.S. at $499.00.
The dollar is now almost equal so the pricing should be as well.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 07:28:01 PM »

Japanese Domestic Models  can be serviced by places like http://japantackle.com/ in the USA.

charles

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »

you still have to send it though...  the North american model can be service by river road... driving distance...

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 05:50:57 PM »

Just want to say that i don't know of a model called the "concord" but if you are referring to the conquest, i think it's great.  thanks.

Drunker

charles

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 08:18:03 PM »

Duuuuuuude you got screwed. The old convergences are WAY better. I wish I still had mine.

Perhaps the company should not spend so much R&D on making products...  Just keep making old model and never move forward... 

The OP just stated how good the service is with the rod company (shimano).  I really don't see how this would turn into "you got screwed".  OP broke the rod.  He got a new one; a newer model cause the old one is not produced anymore...  At least Shimano honor and back its product up by replacing with a newer model.  Try that with Gloomis, Sage, St. Croix, etc, they will ask you to send some payment, or half of MSRP...

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 05:12:11 PM »

Did you get those done in Deep Blue?  They are very nice.  I stop by often to chat and see what else is new...  They do have very good service and many many parts in stock.  My reel is already on the list of no more parts avaiable even from Shimano since it is an much older model but guys in deep blue manage to find the part for me so I can still use my chronarch lowprofile...

wish I could say the same! I found them to be incompetent. http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?PHPSESSID=b1c354bb551855b11a12b7d648b7acdc;topic=7421.0 The reel they told me there was nothing wrong with and once it became totally jammed they could not fix it (they gave it back to me because I still had some tuff XP on it :) ) I brought into Mikes reel repair and the reel is now working better than when I first bought it. :)  Another thing I was chocked about regarding them besides the various incoveniences and arguments  I had with them was the reel repair guy had the nerve to say to me that my reel had already got me through one season and how much more did I expect out of it!  So I told him I expected it to be repair or replaced with no hassels if I had problems with it (in under 1 year) as that is how the sales person sold me on the reel. (I bought it before the service change over to Deep Blue.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 05:21:14 PM by Eagleye »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »

Unacceptable customer service

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 06:13:56 PM »

BTW, the service guy said STAY away from buying the Calcutta Concords.  As nice a reel as they are they can't service them in Canada because they don't have the parts since they are only supposed to be sold in Japan.... which is the only place they can be serviced.  Good to know because I almost bought one once.

Here is the whole scoop on getting Japanese Shimano reels serviced. (Direct quote from Jeremy Sweet, product manager - reels, Shimano America Corporation)(except for a couple inconsequential changes to help it flow better and stay on topic)

we will clean and service any Shimano branded product.

The only differences are:
-We cannot warranty non Shimano American products
-Turn Around time will be significantly longer in most cases
-The familiar "no charge" for certain parts (on US models) does not exist for JDM products

We do not warranty JDM products as they are "grey market" items and not built into our cost structure and would basically be costing us money.

The reason for #2 is that we do not stock parts for the JDM products. So, we have to order them and it does take some time for shipping.

However, our technicians are quite capable of making repairs to these reels, and once the parts are here they can take care of it.

In some cases, the parts are identical, and we can use US parts. But if there is any difference (material, color, weight, etc.), don't worry, we will wait for the JDM part.

You are correct in that Shimano Canada does fall under the US.

I just ran over and spoke with Brian Nolte, our Customer Service Manager, and he said the following:

You are best off to send the reel to us at Shimano American.

This is because we order the parts directly from Japan and they come over to us in our normal parts shipments. This would eliminate some shipping charges you would incur.

Plus, because the volume is low, we have not set up any distributors to handle these requests, even in the USA. So US anglers need to go directly through Shimano American as well, as our Warranty Centers cannot handle these requests.

Anyway, here is a run down of what we can do for anglers in the US and Canada with JDM products:

-Take parts orders by phone for JDM parts. Shimano American is billed at JDM MSRP prices due to import laws, so expect them to be expensive. Turnaround time can be between 2-6 months (4 month average)
-Clean, service, repair JDM product (pricing and shipping times same as above)
-For quicker turn around on repair, we can ship your reel to Shimano Inc. in Japan for you for repair, it will be quicker, but even more expensive as we would have to charge you for the DHL International shipping fees.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 06:32:04 PM by Eagleye »

charles

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 11:15:23 PM »

Eagleye:

I have been getting very good service from DeepBlue.  My Chronarch Ch100 is no longer having any parts made by shimano anymore.  But DeepBlue went through its inventory to find the part to fix my reel.  It was taken off from another reel.  And it was for free...  They did not charge me a dime.

Deepblue also replaced one of my shimano rod for free...  And some other parts (not expensive part like support reel rod, washers, etc) for free...

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »

I took my Calcuta TE in for servicing in case I decide to fish sockeye this year and was talking to the guy there that does all the repair/service work.  He showed me his reel of choice...Calais TE DC (11 ball bearing reel).  It sells for $800 plus taxes!  :o  Can't believe anyone would pay that for a baitcaster.  None of my centre pins or my Islander LX fly reels came even close to that!  Be nice to try one out though.

I'll tell you...I'm very impressed with Shimano's service on rods.  I wouldn't have even thought they warrantied lower priced rods.  I took in a Convergence rod that I got for my wife a few years back that she managed to break in the car door.  It was well used but in good condition.  I was hoping to replace the tip but they replaced the whole thing with a up to date model for free.... no questions asked! :)  I've got to pay $40 for any replacement parts for any of my Sages!

Duuuuuuude you got screwed. The old convergences are WAY better. I wish I still had mine.

Hey Birdman....how did I get screwed?  A free replacement for a broken rod is a pretty good deal in my books!