Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning vs Baitcasting  (Read 4800 times)

druid

Spinning vs Baitcasting
« on: January 21, 2006, 03:46:44 PM »

Hi, thought I'd come over here and hang out for a while.

I'm looking for a new reel for my "spinning" setup (7ft collapsable rod). I'll be using it for cutts, pikeminnows, that kinda thing. Probably 4-6lb mono, small lures or spoons, wedding band/worm...

I've always liked the spinning reel for ease of use, but all the "experts" seem to prefer a batcaster (levelwind). Why?

druid
"Apathy meeting this Friday. If you want to come, you're not invited"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Spinning vs Baitcasting
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 03:59:49 PM »

For cutthroat, pikeminnow, or even bull trout, I prefer a spinning reel than a baitcasting reel, which I feel is bit of an overkill. The spinning reel that I use for these species is usually the Shimano 1000 to 2500 models. Shimano Sidestab is a good one to start with, entry level, reasonable price, three ball bearings and fairly durable. Spool the 1000 with 6lb test or 2500 with 8lb test.

The spinning rod that I have been using for several years now is a Fenwick HMX, rated between 4lb-10lb. I've used it for trout, bull trout, coho, pink, pikeminnow, bass. It's 8ft long, good for both spinning and float fishing. If you are only using it for spinning, go down to 6 or 7ft, I think there is also a Fenwick HMX that comes at that length. Berry's Bait and Tackle was where I bought this one, last time I checked there were still a few left.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 04:51:24 PM »

baitcasters aren't to hot with really light tackle..at least for me anyways...i think spinning is fine for that...of course what the hell do i know..i use a fly line for that and scare all the fish away.. :-[

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 05:01:25 PM »

Often it comes down to personal preference. It's true that light lures are easier to toss with a spinning rig, lighter line, lighter gear, makes it more interesting landing a bigger fish. Line control is often harder with a spinning reel when drift fishing. very sketchy free-spool when letting a float free drift below your position.

A levelwind is able to control line very effectively, free spool to extend a drift, and somply ut your thumb down when you want to set it. Casting lures is nice when it's a heavier lure (Gibbs Koho, or Ironhead), very good control on where the lure touches down, you can easily slow the spool to allow the lure to stop.

From what you're said about what you'll be using it for, it's probably better to go with a spinning set up, most levelwinds used on the West Coast are rated for at least 12 lb test, which is a little heavy for the species you desribed, not as much fight.

Hope this helps.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

druid

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 05:06:58 PM »

Thanks all, especially spudcote - that explains a lot! I have a levelwind setup on my salmon rig, and now that you mention it, I CAN stop the cast and put the lure where I want it. But it doesn't cast light stuff well at all. AND it's easier to freespool - I usually pull line out of the spinning reel a la flyfishing if I want slack line.

I'm going with the Shimano spinner. :D

druid
"Apathy meeting this Friday. If you want to come, you're not invited"

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 06:29:01 PM »

I have found that with a spinnning reel  if you use a 10' rod and turn off the anti-reverse and reel backwards(with practice) you can free drift a float very well with lots of control.The ones with the anti reverse switch  right at the "tail" of the reel are best.A flick of the pinky on the rod hand at "fish on" and your in business! But if you miss the switch and the fish runs you have a killer knuckle buster to get under control!!!
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Pantharen

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 10:55:04 PM »

Heya Lloyd :)

spinning reel, now is that an open face or a closed face? I have only used open faced spincast reels. Being that I am a salty, who only rescently moved over to non tidal. my heavy rod is a hurricane deep sea (crappy tire special), and my light rod is also a crapy tire special. Now most of my tackle is for the salt, however some is for both. Like my rapala's, and buzz bombs, however I bought some red, white, and pink wool today, as well as fake worms (red and pink) and wool eggs (rubber eggs with wool thru them) I have lots of snell hooks.

Now being that RAPALA do really well for everything else I have caught in the ocean, I wonder if they'll do as well in fresh.....

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 03:46:54 PM »

Spinning reels are good for casting light lures a good distance but there are also some low profile baitcasters that are designed for casting lures down to 1/16 oz such as the Daiwa Presso http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/Daiwa_Presso_Bait.htm or the Daiwa Pixy http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/Daiwa_liberto_pixy.htm for casting lures down to 1/8oz.   The only real drawback to these reels is their line capacity (the presso actually hold 100m of 6# contrary to what the site says). There are also spinning reels with a "bait feeder" switch that enables you to extend your drift such as the Okuma Epixor EB series and others .  They don't freespoll as smooth as a baitcaster but work well if their is a fairly fast current.  No matter what type of reel you choose matching it to a rod suitable for casting the desired weight is crucial for acheiving maximum distance. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 03:50:43 PM by Eagleye »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 05:26:34 PM »

If you are only using it for spinning, go down to 6 or 7ft,

Rod, why do you recommend a shorter rod for spin casting?  I thought the only advantage of using a shorther rod was for tight casting situations.  Is there a significant increase in transmitting lure vibrations with a shorter blank?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 05:31:29 PM by Eagleye »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »

Spinning reel line leaves spool in curls. Shorter rod with large rings cast best. Too short no good too not enough spring in the rod. Personally I like medium action rod for spinning reel.

Pantharen

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 06:49:54 PM »

Ok so I'll ask again, what would be the difference between my openface Spinning reel , and a baitcaster?

I can't remember the length of my rods, I think the big one is 8' and the small one is 5' (I might be wrong tho)