Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kitimat River Info Needed  (Read 3336 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Kitimat River Info Needed
« on: May 17, 2006, 09:04:31 AM »

Starting work up there at Eurocan pulp mill after the long weekend wondering what's running in the river and what kind of gear would be needed to target these fish . I'm assuming there are early runs of springs running and the tail end of the steelies any info would be much appreciated. Planning on bringing my 11' foot drift rod with my abu 6500 armed with 20lbs main line Spin n glo's , spoons , wool , colorado blades will this be adequate to target these fish should i be bar fishing or float or cast and retrieve . I also heard Jigs work well on the Kitimat. Thanks for any info.

drift

Re: Kitimat River Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 09:47:55 AM »

Hi,it sounds the rod/reel will be sufficient for your stay.The steelhead are still around though the ones we have seen are a little dark in colour.The bait ban is in effect since May 15th so the weapon of choice,roe/float is no more.If you still want to target them,people also have success with float and pink worm.People are catching the odd spring already.We went out for trout yesterday and saw a bunch of seagulls going crazy up river.After a closer look,we realized what the fuss was about,there were three nice size springs struggling in a very shallow part of the river.People have told me that they are an early run that tend to shoot up river and not hang around.We saw these fish just below the hatchery which is the last road(left)on the way to Eurocan.Drive down this road,enter the hatchery and go down the stairs in front of it.Take a right after the stairs where you will enter a 5 minute trail.After the trail,there is a long bar where you can fish all the way down.As for success with springs,cohospoons(brass,blue),spin'in'glows'(white with pink spots work well).We had the most success last year with jigs though,chartreuse in colour.Go down to home hardware and talk to Pat(tall blond guy),he'll tell you everything you need to know.Hope it helps a little.Oh yeah,lots of nice cutties and dollies in the river also.If you could get a hold of a tide schedule,think they have em at the tackle shops,after high tide,a run of fish come through.cheers

legend

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 11:15:44 AM »

Thanks drift I have fished the river in the past but never this early in the season . I was there a few years back during Coho season amazing fishing in two days hit over a hundred pinks and twenty coho lots of coho in the 12 to 14 lb class and hooked a 45 lb spring that battle lasted over 40 min . Hiked into Coho flats and fished there but the Bears were making me nervous as there were 6 or more with in 100 yards of us  . Most of our angling was around the pump house and that park ( ryall , ripply ? ) something like that . Also 4 x 4 into a spot from Down town side . We were there for three weeks every day after work we were slaying fish great paid fishing vacation looking forward to this years trip were staying in Terrace so I will be fishing the Skeena as well any tips on the Skeena would be great as well thanks again.

drift

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 11:56:03 AM »

Hey Legend I know what you mean about coho flats.I haven't been down there in years but fished a few times with blacks looking over our shoulder.It's not the most relaxing thing.Don't worry about blacks,there's been lots of grizzlies last few years so all the blacks are gone. ;DWish I could help with the skeena but only fished it once.I know crazy isnt it.I do plan on giving it a go this year though.I think the name of the campsite you're talkin about is radley park.Good luck on your trip! :)

legend

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 12:35:35 PM »

Yes Radley is the name your right great no Blacks GRIZZLY's instead im a good sized scobby snack for a Grizzly better bring some bear spray.

drift

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 01:21:32 PM »

If you go to( my telus ),there's daily updated tide charts. ;)

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »

Legend: if you go to the downtown section of Terrace there is a fishing tackle shop there and the guys there are fairly knowledgeable about what is running in the river at different times of the year.  Can't think of the name of the shop, off the top of my head but you cannot miss it as it is on the corner of one of the main streets.  Keep us updated as to how you make out.

drift

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »

I believe the one you're thinking of is North Coast Anglers.

redside1

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 09:20:40 PM »

there are 3 good tackle shops in Terrace, 1) Misty river 2) Fish Tales & 3) North Coast anglers. The place to go to in Kitimat is City Center hardware. Last time I was there they had one of the best selction of spin n glo's I have ever seen.