Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommend your favourite books  (Read 5129 times)

doja

Re: Recommend your favourite books
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »

Metro town has a old book about steel head (and possibly salmon) fishing....  I accredit it to getting me into 7 steel head in a short time first year out once I learned to apply the methods...  Forgotten the name of it but it should still be there for those who want to put in the work...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »

Funny I ran into that with the Leeson book - not involving after a few chapters in. I guess I will have to get it back from the used book store and try again.

My favourite Gierach story wasn't even about fishing but about hunting rabbits in early winter. He started with a partner, went off on his own and got lost in the cold. It was a good story. Can't remember what book it was from or the title.

The River God by Roland Pertwee is a good short story of a young British Boy and his angling mentor - it's in a number of collections. Pertwee was a successful screen wrieter

Arnold Gingrich The Well Tempered Angler is a good book as I recall.

Jack Hemingway's (son of famous novelist Ernest) Misadventures of a Fly Fisherman: My Life With and Without Papa, was good and includes stories of his early life with Papa if you are a Hemingway fan.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

John Revolver

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »

I must also really reccomend this brillant book by Dave Huges.  Execllent guide to reading water and locating holding locations and patters.

riptide

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »

As mentioned The Gilly is a good read , all old STS magazines , Egg Cures by Scott Hagen . Recently I received a book as a gift, Treasury of Great Fishing Stories , a Collection of Tales that celebrates the Art ,Craft and the Soul of Fishing. Basically a compilation book with 27 stories. If you can wade through some of the fiction and archaic writing it has a few good short stories in it with writing by Haig-Brown, Hemingway, and Zane Grey, amongst others.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »

Funny I ran into that with the Leeson book - not involving after a few chapters in. I guess I will have to get it back from the used book store and try again.
Worth a shot. It took me three, maybe four attempts to get comfortable with it. Not an easy read, but when it finally sucks you in, it blows your mind.