Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breaking The Jinx, The Journal On The Bar For July 28  (Read 3225 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Breaking The Jinx, The Journal On The Bar For July 28
« on: July 28, 2006, 11:34:32 PM »

It seems a while that I have welcomed you all to "The Journal" on FWR, your top fishing web site on the net, for fishing information across British Columbia and beyond.

My day started with the usual double double at Tims, nice to see with the reduction in GST as it only cost $1.54 now instead of the old price of $1.55 so every 155 trips to the shop means a free one over the old price. ??? ::)

Then with my favorite coffee in hand it was off to a meeting with Lew and Terry as we were meeting with the Fraser Valley Regional District to plan the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition's BC Rivers Day cleanup and celebration.

It will be held on Sunday September the 24th at Thompson Park, please mark it on your calender now so you can help give the system a face lift after she has had to try and survive the summer rush of so many careless vistors.

It will be a day of displays, BBQ and lots of prizes as well as the cleanup. We certainly hope to match last years turnout of around 225 participates.

After the meeting it was off to meet up with Buckeye, Frank and fishforever to rescue hundreds of stranded coho fry in three ponds on the Vedder River. Dropping water levels in these ponds as well as warm weather would mean certain death for these wild coho, in a few days.

Buckeye had received permission to do the work and had received some small nets from FOC 's local hatchery to accomplish the task. We also had the Chilliwack Progress photojournalist along to capture a picture or two of the rescue work. I believe we removed 1,000 to 1,200 fry from these death traps and then moved them over to the mainstem of the Vedderin order to give them a fighting chance of survival.

This work tired us out so we took a break, went for lunch and then returned to remove a few more remaining fish, the ones that had hid from us, under the rocks, not knowing we were there to help them. We probably got another 75 on the second go around.

While I was putting these last few from the bucket into the main flow I noticed a rubber raft floating by, all I could see was oars, no occupants. Even though I had waders on I could not wade to it.

When I got back to the truck where Frank and Buckeye were waiting for me they said some people that had been floating down the river, had lost the raft I had seen. Apparently a young boy who was on it got swept up onto a log and had to be rescued by his dad as the raft floated away with a watermellom in it. ??? A dangerous thing in my mind to be doing, especially the raft that I saw was not suitable to be doing such a thing, on this water coarse anyway. I guess that is why we have so many drownings each summer. In this case things turned out well for those involved.

With the time now around two o'clock, our good deed for the day complete we still had a good part of the day left so the 4 of us decided we would meet around 3:15 at Island 22 and end the day bar fishing. Of course we did not have to twist fishforever's arm after his success of yesterday that was still fresh in his mind. ;D ;D

I now head to pick up the Leaf Craft at home.......................................
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 03:02:15 AM by chris gadsden »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Breaking The Jinx, The Journal On The Bar For July 28
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 12:14:30 AM »

Aww just when it was gettin to the good bits. ::) ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 02:07:56 AM »

As I hitched up the Leaf Craft to the Leaf Mobile I actually though a nap would actually be more productive as I have lost track of when I had landed my last bluntnosed Fraser River chinook, maybe it is nearly 3 weeks. I had not even had a good bite over that period of time, that would mean betwen 60 and 75 hours of fishing effort. ::)

The plus side though was a number of anglers I had taken fishing or ones I was fishing with had landed fish or at least had some on.
My brother - in - law as I mentioned before in an earlier thread had been out with me twice and had 1 on each time. Even though he had lost them at least he had the feel of some action.

I was taking my fair share of ribbing of late for my poor fishing success but just getting out enjoying the scenery, the wildlife and good fishing partners is rewarding enough. Is it not about just fishing and not only just the catching that is important?. But saying that I want one. ;D

As I launch the god old LC I see a fellow I know just coming in, he comes over and tells us he and his partner have nothing themselves but saw one landed. As I am on a bit of a blitz to sell some Fraser Valley Salmon Society Memberships due to the fact our list has seemed to dwindle this year. By a little coaxing I am able to sell him and his partner one each. I am trying to sell 10 in the next two weeks and have challenged the other directors to do so as well. We must remember we have a lot of the fishing opportunities today because of the FVSS.

Fishforever, Frank and I head out ahead of buckeye as he had some work related duties to complete, I would come back later to get him.

As we reach Maple Leaf Bar #2,  Dean, Doug and Popeye their faithful companion are just packing up after being out fairly early in the am. "Only saw 2 hooked, 1 landed" the always cheery Dean informs us, as they push off. "None for us today" he adds. I think to myself should we head to Maple Leaf Bar proper instead but fishforever still fresh from victory from yesterday makes the decision, I slip the Leaf Craft and the occupants into into the now vacated spot.

Bar rods are quickly assembled, rod holders stuffed into the ground and bells attached ready to toll their sweet music. Fishforever who has bought out a local tackle shop of all their #2 green tops ;D ;D has maybe taken "The Master" advice to switch to #2 's as the water is cleaning nicely. Of course taking his fish on a green top yesterday has now made that his favorite colour. ;D

His talk has seemed to have convinced Frank and he is fishing green too with a #2 too. ;D I stick to my usual red top and stubbornly have my 0 on. Both  "my friends" try to convert me but I am going to stick it out. ;D If I donot get one today the Leaf emblem is going on it. ::)

Buckeye calls, he is ready now and off back to the launch I go, to pick him up. He too surrenders to this green top #2 craze so we have 3 greens against one red. ;D

We are all now nicely settled in our lawn chairs talking about the days events, fishforever's rod is the furthest away and of course is the first to explode. He to explodes from his chair and covers the ground quicker than Ben Johnson winning the 100. The rod is waving madly, bell tolling in tune with the action but just as fishforever reaches the rod and ready to set the hook the rod ceases to move and no fish for fishforever this time. :(

I think maybe I should switch to a green and a #2 too but no I will persevere as my honey, the red coloured glow has produced too many times to give in, no matter what my dear friends and "The Master " have said.

Lancer a chap I know from ball and hockey pulls in above us, he has 3 passengers and is fishing three rods. I forgot to mention there is 3 chaps in a boat below us as well, anchored.

I slip up and visit with Lance for about 15 minutes and then I tell him "I better go down near my pole I feel a fish coming on shortly", trying to talk my way out of the worse streaks on the bar in a long time.

I settle back into the chair maybe for 5 minutes and then it happens rod jumping, bell tolling like Big Ben, its mine. ;D ;D ;D ;D Buckeye who is close to my rocking rod beats me to it but I yell "I got it" as I have waited many hours for this. I whip the pole out of the holder in the Leaf Craft as it is rocking too, happy with the feel of the fish, now maybe 40 feet from her.
As I make contact with the bluntnose it heads down stream a little, my clicker has been left on, something I seldom do. I guess I want everyone within hearing distance to know I finally am back in action after being missing in action the last while. ???

The fish that feels close to 20 heads upstream in a hurry, I dodge the spare rod standing upright in the boat and then sneak under buckeye's that is above me. The fish continues upstream heading for Lancer's boat, I snub the single action reel a bit and rein in the bundle of energy. It turns back down now and I dodge first buckeyes rod again and then the spare in the boat. Fishforever has the net ready as the now tiring salmon gets closer to me. As it nears the shore it makes one more run after feeling the Fraser River rough rocks on its satin smooth belly, a crucial time now as many fish are lost at this stage. The heavy weight combined with the trashing fish in the shallows often sees the barbless hook come unglued. :(

As the edge of the bar is fairly flat I tell the netter "I will just glide it ashore but come in behind in case the unthinkable happens." It does not and a silver beauty that later weighs in just over 19 pounds is now mine. ;D ;D

The hook is well embedded as this fish really attacked THE RED TOPPED #0. ;D ;D ;D A few pictures are snapped of the now happy and relieved angler, the long hitless streak now a distant memory to me as I pop the gem of nature in the ice chest, filled with ice that fishforever brought along.

We settle back and wait, still a couple of hours to go yet, for my partners to connect too.

Another boat comes in above us and the occupant gets out and comes towards us, must recognize the Leaf Craft. Just as he passes Lance's rod, on his way towards us, Lance's rod now does the bar dance. ;D As it takes line we see it is a nice fish. The fellow coming down reaches us just as we reel in our lines, out of the way to give Lance plenty of room to fight his prize. The fellow introduces himself to us as "Jimmy" from FWR and Fish BC. Greetings and introductions take place as we head up to watch Lancer in action. As I have waders on I take the net and wait until the battle nears its end. One has to be very careful when netting, one slip,you miss and hang up with the weight in the netting and you may not only lose a fish but a friend in a hurry. ;D ;D

The fish now tires offers it head nicely to me, one quick swipe and the mission is accomplished as a 22 plus silver gem of a chinook is now glistening in the setting sun.

Once again congratulations are exchanged with some traditional hand shaking.o. By the way Lancer was using a green top #2. ::)

Jimmy who has come up from down river to do some camping and fishing heads back to his boat to get ready, very enthused I am sure about what he has just seen.

Things quiet down some, as the sun sets, we watch a couple of bears on the far sand bar, a West Jet with the sun sparkling off it, heading for some distant destination, a eagle circling above the far island, several guide boats heading back to the launch, their day now done, and a First Nation Boat checking their net for sockeye.

As the time nears for us the end  odf another day we see some commotion above us. First I think it is Lance's group into another but no it is Jimmy. ;D What a guy, his rod is only in the water a few minutes and he is into a fish. The fish is running around like a torpedo, showing itself a bit above water. Lance's group try to get their lines out of the way but the fish is motoring too fast and tangles with one of them and is gone. Jimmy takes it in good humour as it has just happened so fast. Besides I think he felt good seeing all the action since he arrived on the bar and by staying out for a day or two he should find success too.

Shortly after, as the clock tolls 9 bells it is time to go, the 4 of us slip easily into the Leaf Craft, bidding farewell to Jimmy and Lancer's crew and wishing them well. As we move towards the launch we see 2 FOC boats with 4 members in one of the boats, heading out for their evening patrol, so good to see enforcement stepped up this year.

Well I am finally back on track I hope, I outfished the green topped #2's in our group but Lancer evened it up but probably Jimmy had a #2 on too. ;D ;D

Maybe I will change my glow one day but today was it's day and it is now scratched with the marks of victory.  I hope your weekend is as successful as well.

Good fishing from The Journal, on Fishing with Rod.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 09:29:28 PM by chris gadsden »

Buckeye

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 06:39:42 AM »

Well done Chris, and thanks for the trip and company.
Also thanks very much to you, Frank and Fishforever for your help in the morning.

The proud fisherman...

Cheers,
George

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 07:12:15 AM »

Great read as usual Chris.
Was worth the wait as allways. ;)
Glad your smelling a little better now. ;D

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 08:45:56 AM »

Nice hat !  :D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 10:22:17 AM »

Nice fish Chris!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D It was that day (July 28th) last year when me and you fished together and I got that small doe on MLB. ;D Good to see it was your turn 1 year to the day later. :) Nice work with the coho too. 8)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 10:25:23 AM »

Nice fish Chris and great job, sounds like it was a blast out there!! :)  I made it out this morning for an hr or so as well!!  Now I am at work!! ;D  Report to follow!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 10:40:12 AM »

thanks for the report chris, O YA I CAN POST AGAIN, REPORT TO FOLLOW ALSO 8) 8) 8) 8)
weeeeeeeeeow!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 10:49:10 AM »

Already started one!!!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 11:30:19 AM »

. Fishforever who has bought out a local tackle shop of all their #2 green tops ;D ;D has maybe taken "The Master" advice to switch to #2 's as the water is cleaning nicely. Of course taking his fish on a green top yesterday has now made that his favorite colour. ;D

fyi
There is stock of both red top and green top #2 mylar wing spin n glo's at the wholesaler level. The local shops can have stock by monday afternoon if they want.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 12:30:06 PM »

. Fishforever who has bought out a local tackle shop of all their #2 green tops ;D ;D has maybe taken "The Master" advice to switch to #2 's as the water is cleaning nicely. Of course taking his fish on a green top yesterday has now made that his favorite colour. ;D

fyi
There is stock of both red top and green top #2 mylar wing spin n glo's at the wholesaler level. The local shops can have stock by monday afternoon if they want.
By the way, can you order some in with the Toronto Maple Leaf logo on them as well? ;D ;D ;D

Jimmy

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 05:56:18 PM »

nice meeting the crew out on the bar on Friday

I wasn't to upset with the lost fish until I came home empty handed! ::) I saw one other fish taken on Saturday in your spot on the lower bar.

It was a great to get out for the night I will break the jinx myself one day.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 09:36:35 PM »

nice meeting the crew out on the bar on Friday

I wasn't to upset with the lost fish until I came home empty handed! ::) I saw one other fish taken on Saturday in your spot on the lower bar.

It was a great to get out for the night I will break the jinx myself one day.
Too bad you did not get another opportunity. I have had that happen several times, you get into a fish right away and you then think to yourself boy its going to be good. Then it turns out that was the only bite you get. Your fish sure took off, too bad it ended up in the lines below you or you would have landed it I am sure.

Good meeting you and hope you get one your next trip as there still is some good chinook fishing ahead yet.

By the way I stopped at the Island 22 launch tonight and the creel surveyor said she was recording about one chinook for every 4 rods, just about all had been taken bar fishing. She had started recording at 1 pm.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 03:15:07 AM »

Nice Fish Chris. finally nice to get a win in that 3 week losing streak, and a bright trophy too. But im gonna have to disagree with you......your a little over your coho limit for today, I hope the DFO didnt catch you. ;D Well thanks alot for making my chances of catch a coho a couple years from now a little better, your doing a great job!  :)
The Bigger The Better!