Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Setups!  (Read 4101 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Sturgeon Setups!
« on: July 17, 2005, 01:01:09 PM »

Does anyone know any good places and prices to buy a good sturgeon setup? I Think I might be able to get away using one of my heavy bar rods, so looking more towards the reel. If you guys know any additional important information on sturgeon gear please let me know.
The Bigger The Better!

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
Re: Sturgeon Setups!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 01:03:31 PM »

Will you be fishing from a boat or shore?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 01:19:37 PM »

Boat!
The Bigger The Better!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 08:50:02 PM »

Well it's a little like the way they used to sell things @ Canadian Tire-Good/Better/Best.
A Shimano TLD 20 is the best reel available in Canada for the job and prices have dropped lately.
A 6.5 ft Ugly Stick will do the trick with little fuss and is the best hundred dollar rod you'll find for Sturgeon.

miketheflyguy

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 09:50:45 PM »

When I get my sturgie setups this fall I am going with a Penn 330 GTi these cost 119.99 ~ 149.99ea. They also have the GT2 which goes for the same price I'm goin' with a Quantum Big Cat...6 year warranty..........they go for 55.99-79.99.....there is also many pre- rigged setups availible too...

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 07:10:41 PM »

Big fisher, I run Shimano Taloras 7ft. on my boat with TLD 20's or Penn 330's. I used to use Trophy xl Sturgeon Kings 8ft. but find they're a bit of a "stick" I just recieved a Stryker 8ft. loaner rod that I'm just itchin' to use. I'll try it out this week and let you know the results.

I have a brand new Berkley roughneck that I'm selling if you interested. Never used.

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 07:24:17 PM »

Ugly sticks are bullet proff and priced well . I have a 6'6" ugly . But i recently purchased the shimano Talora and it's easier to read the bite and has great feel to it. I caught my 8 Footer on the Talora awsome rod armed with the Penn 320 gt best for your buck.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »

i use a 7ft lamiglas and a abu 7001. and i use it from shore. hasn't landed anything huge yet but i know it can. heres one i caught tonight on it.

sparky

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 05:51:00 PM »

depending on your budget, the new Shimano Technium (west coast series) is about as good as you can get.  It's an 8' one piece heavy duty fast action - a real gem.  i got mine at Hub's in abbotsford.