Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambleside July 4th  (Read 4542 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Ambleside July 4th
« on: July 04, 2005, 01:58:42 AM »

Fished from 11pm to 1am got two sculpin. My sister was fishing with shrimp got the sculpins. I was using bar rig
upper with chunk of smelt and lower with shiner. Not a nibble. saw some other people fishing too, no luck.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 10:32:02 PM by Rodney »

No_way

Re: Ambleside
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 02:50:17 AM »

I hope they were big sculpins ;D

I've had good luck lately for greenlings and flounder on dew worms.  I used to fish with a bar rig but have switched to a 3-way swivel with a pencil lead and long leader.  I found that if I don't troll the bait on the bottom all I get is bullheads.  Not that I don't get bullheads now, but I get other fish too.

Never fished ambleside, what were you hoping to get?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 02:51:58 AM »

greenlings and maybe doggies.

Where were you fishing?

No_way

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 03:58:41 AM »

At crab park by the port.  It's 10 min walk from my home.  I've never seen anyone else fishing there, but I hear people catch shiners all the time.  I do really well for perch of all kinds there, but lots are "with child" and go back into the drink.

There is no crabbing there so they can be a real nuisance--another reason to troll the bait! >:(

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 05:19:22 AM »

Fished from 11pm to 1am got two sculpin. My sister was fishing with shrimp got the sculpins. I was using bar rig upper with chunk of smelt and lower with shiner. Not a nibble. saw some other people fishing too, no luck.
Note that in salt water it's against the law to fish with a rig designed to catch more than one fish at a time-you are clearly in violation of Fisheries law!

JiG_Head

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 11:35:06 AM »

u can always split the rig in half and use 1 bar....? or maybe he tied his own. thats wat i do. is cheaper anyways.

i was at ambleside yesterday :D screwed around all day with my little cusin then brought up 2 nice size perch :)  let me know wat u look like and ill come and say hello
the shyt talker.

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 12:19:07 PM »

hey no way,

I checked out Crab Park on Saturday, you are correct the perch there are quite large, and preggers...

I had lots of crabs molest my bait.  I relized after reading the regs, that using my two hook bar rig was/is illegal, so I had retied it up with only one bar.

At one point, I had just set my rod down and turned around, when i felt/heard my line tighten up quickly and my rod double over!

Not sure what it was, certainly the most 'fighty' fish I have hooked into from a pier, got it to just under the surface and saw a flash of white and whatever it was cut my 8llb leader cleanly off.

This whole thread motivated me to get out and fish Ambleside, Crab, and Jericho over the weekend, had a great time. I am going to get a crab trap for my next trip down there, maybe Tuesday, as high tide is around 4pm.

If any of ya see me, stop and say hi! I'm a tall thin dude, I'll be fishing a black shimano tdr rod with gold/black daiwa spinnning reel. cheers!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 12:32:36 PM by JackFunk »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 01:34:46 PM »

Sounds like a dogfish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 03:40:23 PM »

There's no art or skill involved in catching dogfish. If they're there they'll bite.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 04:25:09 PM »

Looks like I've been there at the wrong time.  :'( :'( No fish.

No_way

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 04:34:41 PM »

Fished from 11pm to 1am got two sculpin. My sister was fishing with shrimp got the sculpins. I was using bar rig upper with chunk of smelt and lower with shiner. Not a nibble. saw some other people fishing too, no luck.
Note that in salt water it's against the law to fish with a rig designed to catch more than one fish at a time-you are clearly in violation of Fisheries law!

Actually, Sam Salmon, I feel the need to come to BwiBwi's defense.  Using multiple hooks on one rig is totally legal.  A multi-hook setup is not designed to catch more than one fish at a time.  They are used all the time in Fraser.  You hook a fish it thrashes around and you bring it in.  The second hook won't catch a fish at that point.  They are designed to increase your chances of catching one fish, not to help you catch two fish.

If they are legal in in the Fraser for salmon, I'm SURE they are legal off the dock for dogfish.

IamCanadian

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 08:20:37 PM »

Anyone that has been fishing in Deep Cove or Cates Park? And I was wondering if their is a pier in Cates Park?

Thanks. Ian ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 10:59:27 PM »

The regs state you can use a bar rig in the lower fraser.   It is illegal to use this same setup by ambleside.  You can use multiple hooks if they are designed to catch one fish.  Having two leader and hook setups off the bar rig is considered illegal.  One should always check the regs for each location as they change from place to place.  What is legal in one location does not make it legal in another.  Sam Salmon is correct.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 11:07:24 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

No_way

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 03:26:02 PM »

Ok.

Using a two hook rig in the ocean uses up bait way to fast any how.  I catch bullheads fast enough as it is!! lol  :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Ambleside July 4th
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 10:34:15 PM »

Amblerside discussion has been moved to here.