Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First salmon and river Bow...good day on the vedder  (Read 1074 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
First salmon and river Bow...good day on the vedder
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:02:08 PM »

OK...to start, I don't care if it was a smolt..it's still a salmon right? ;) Took a buddy up as I've been promising to drop off something for one of our members and have been too busy to get up there  otherwise. He's never seen the upper river so took a tour and stopped at the Hatchery, that was pretty cool with all the boots crammed in the channel...
My buddy and I were fishing down in Mt. Vernon a month or so ago and his truck got broken into, they sold ALL his fly gear, so today we took up my 4 and 6 wt winston b2x's and were out for trout...hit above Wilson road, wind was pretty stiff, managed to smack the back of my head a couple times...Didn't think anything was in there but an old salmon we didn't want to catch...got one quick tap and that was it...
Headed down to the lower river, we debated on not stopping as we were worried about getting broken into...( a little gun shy now )....but found a spot by the gravel pit where we could still see the truck somewhat...river was really low and was able to wade out enough to cast to the other shore...fished a woolly worm..and as the sun was off the water...caught the smolt pretty quick...got him in and free in seconds...pretty little fellow though...was casting under the bushes and as i slow stripped in a decent little bow hammered the woolly....put a decent bend in the 6 wt a few times and danced a little too, was quite impressed for a 12 incher or so...very bright and fiesty fish...fished a little longer and then headed home..
Great day on the Vedder, no crowds and a great day fly fishing some prime water...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 10:06:28 AM by golfman65 »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: First salmon and river Bow...good day on the vedder
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 05:27:05 PM »

congrats, thx for the report
weeeeeeeeeow!