Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last session of the season and I pop my cherry!  (Read 4298 times)

rivan

• The most fun you can have with your boots on!
Re: Last session of the season and I pop my cherry!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 12:40:25 AM »

Are you sure that isn't a sperm-whale? :D
Very nice fish David :)
Real anglers dont bring beer

nataly

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 02:17:15 AM »

Happy Birthday!    Nice fish, David!    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

abito

• my gallery
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 08:51:08 AM »

Am i the only one to be honest here??? I would hardly call that fish a nice fish with milt spewing out of it. i know the person was really excited about landing his first steelhead  but i think that  fish should have been released right away in the condition it was in to do it's thing or at least taken the pic with it still in the water. The milt spewing out of the fish and the colour of the fish says all. I will probably get bashed but i haven't said anything that wasn't true and honest opinion is alot better then telling someone something that isn't true.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 08:54:38 AM by abito »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 01:55:13 PM »

I think a tree is missing a hugger right now. ::)
[

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 02:33:36 PM »

Am i the only one to be honest here??? I would hardly call that fish a nice fish with milt spewing out of it. i know the person was really excited about landing his first steelhead  but i think that  fish should have been released right away in the condition it was in to do it's thing or at least taken the pic with it still in the water. The milt spewing out of the fish and the colour of the fish says all. I will probably get bashed but i haven't said anything that wasn't true and honest opinion is alot better then telling someone something that isn't true.

If you look closely you will see that there is still water dripping from the fish.. so obviously the fish was not out of the water for any length of time.. and I am sure that if that was the first ever Steelhead you had caught you would be pretty excited about it too.. I personally think the colours on that fish are beautiful and he should be damn proud of his catch!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 03:36:25 PM »

i agree with abito for the most part, there really was no need to take a fish in that condition out of the water to get a pic, its a wild buck and was probably on its redd when it was hooked. a fish like that should be released asap. a pic is ok but atleast try and keep it in the water or wade out and take it there. other than that good job, its a nice fish.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 07:04:34 PM »

No way, If that way my first steelhead I would for sure take a picture, and take good care of the fish at the same time. Does it matter that it's spewing milt, fish get excited too. Also its likely that the fish is just spawning and is ready to turn back to its bright chrome colour in the ocean.
The Bigger The Better!

abito

• my gallery
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 08:02:43 AM »

No way, If that way my first steelhead I would for sure take a picture, and take good care of the fish at the same time. Does it matter that it's spewing milt, fish get excited too. Also its likely that the fish is just spawning and is ready to turn back to its bright chrome colour in the ocean.
r
as a matter of fact it does matter that the fish is spewing milt  ???

yep, no surprise at all ,very typical of the replies i expected to  get on this board.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 08:34:21 AM »

Abito i cant stand people like you just cut some slack and let it be.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 08:52:40 AM »

Abito i cant stand people like you just cut some slack and let it be.

Well said.  :-X

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 09:28:48 AM »

Last session of the season and I pop my cherry!

Looks like the fish was trying to oblige on his part, I thought this was a family type site. Get that photo up on the wall ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 10:55:25 AM »

yep, no surprise at all ,very typical of the replies i expected to  get on this board.

Well ya, because this board is designed to accommodate fishermen who choose to diregard all ethics on the flow. ;)

Look, you do have good points Abito, most experienced river anglers already know it when they see the photo. However, put yourself in David's shoes for ten seconds. He recently moved to BC from England, just started out steelhead fishing with no success. Finally he was able to connect with one after numerous outings and landed it. First steelhead ever, he wanted to capture that joy on a still photograph. You and I, or anyone else, do not know how long that fish was out of the water, therefore we are in no position to judge how David handled the fish.

In a few years from now, David will connect with more steelhead, and he'll look back and think that although this fish was large, it was certainly beyond its prime and not on his target list. It's a learning process, not everyone has 10+ years of experience on the flow.

Was it David's fault for getting a fish close to its spawning time on his line? No, he was after all, fishing in a legal area. If multiple catches of spawners become a concern during the last portion of the season, perhaps the angling community wants to advice the ministry to keep certain section, ie. the upper river, closed to avoid such catches?

winter steel

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 12:36:42 PM »

Rodney, your words are wise and all so true. Sometimes us "experienced" anglers lose sight of the fact that we too, were uneductaed at one time or another in the art of fishing and all that goes with it. I remeber when I was a young kid my father and I headed out to the Cap to do a little river fishing, neither of us new a damn thing about drifting. However, we were told by one of my dads friends that salmon eggs or imitations would work in the faster water. Since we had no salmon eggs my dad figured that peas (given that they are round) was an ample substitute or "imitation" as put by dad's bud.  Needless to say we got skunked, but the experience was still great. Good on you for your steelhead and believe me I'm sure many of us "experienced" anglers have a picture or two that we would like to donate to a bonfire, right Gooey, remeber that white spring (an oxymoron if you saw the fish) on the upper Vedder. Tight Lines, winter steel.

black jack

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 04:42:20 PM »

Hello to all at 'Fishing with Rod'

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some may view a young hardbody as beautiful, others see a more mature pregnant woman as beautiful. No one person shall be THE judge.

Rites of passage occur on the river as they occur everywhere in nature. Observe!

I am sure that those that find this shot objectionable, are welcome to post a shot of how a 'first' steelhead should appear. How many anglers avoid the river after January 1st in fear that they may encounter a steelhead in spawning colors? How many anglers only target only does and exclude the bucks? How many anglers will only fish the estuaries in an effort to avoid redds? Aren't these foolish questions? I really hope there are no replies.

When you take a firm stand  - don't stop half way - it shows indecision. Indecision = Uncertainty.

Nice Cherry, David.  See you on the river.

Jack

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:25:16 PM by black jack »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 05:55:09 PM »

Yep, everybody goes through a learning stage (see attached photo). ;)

And yes, that entire fish went through my system. ;)