Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rainy lake Ontario  (Read 3403 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Rainy lake Ontario
« on: May 19, 2009, 07:26:06 PM »

Made that long drive again to Ontario again, was here 8 months ago. Made sure to bring lots of those goofy lures you always want to catch fish on. As well as the fly gear to make the trip more entertaining. This place is crawling with Pike, Walleye, Bass, Splake, trout of weird names etc etc. So far it's been big wind and pike. Took a small backpackable pontoon to reach the "Fly In" lakes as well as get out on the drive in ones. Unfortunately the wind hasn't let me do more than look for the sheltered areas. I kept catching pike before even getting the boat in the water. Waters higher in the streams than the summer and fall trips I been here on so they are great for boating and fishing. Can't wait for tommorrow.

First stop of the day.

From the pool in front of the car photo

From the other side of the road

From another pool 4 K up the road

Tried some flies on them but haven't found the right ones yet. The pike went after just about everything I tried other than what was working last times, which was the lead head jigs with the soft plastic leaches. Good thing I wanted some change ups from what I usually fish. Brought the anchor and fishing buddy to hone in on the Walleye on the lakes. Damn cold right now though, with snow just before we got here. Still managed at least ten pike this morning anyway. Great area to fish and a nice change from BC type fishing.

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Rainy lake Ontario
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »

People who've never been there can't imagine the variety of fishing a huge watery place like Ontario has to offer.

Damned windy a lot of the time too as mentioned.

Looking forward to more pics!

Camman

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 10:37:57 PM »

My buddy has a cabbin there and he comes back every year with tons of pictures of his fish he catches.

dspot

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 12:57:36 AM »

Good looking fish there. How long did the drive take you?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:33:27 PM »

It took 29 hours to get here. Still haven't caught the elusive Walleye but I'm in good company there. Only a few lucky ones have tagged into them. Walleye opened last weekend here. Still can't complain because if you want to catch fish the Pike are glad to comply. Wind still an issue especially with that pontoon boat dragging anchor. Have come to the conclusion that you find likely fishing spots that are out of the wind. Still doesn't get you out of the rain here. If these guys here call BC wet there only trying to justify putting up with massive bug infestation during the summer. Fortunately there is no bugs right now, but that might also be affecting the fishing.

This morning on"Rainy Lake" (should have been called Windy Rainy Lake")

Breakfast

I didn't get a good picture but the Bass was about 6 lbs. Great fighters.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:02:01 PM »

nice small mouth...but it's definitely not 6lbs ::)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 06:33:30 AM »

Leaving tomorrow and still no Walleye  :-\. Still can't complain as it's been really interesting trying new spots. Was stopped in one of the roadblocks by conservation officers. Guy was more interested in my boat and the fact I was from BC. Still they search your car in case your hiding fish in your glove compartment etc. They had First Nation people searching while they talked to you. Big problem with American anglers apparently taking more than the limit. Also American anglers have to stay one night in local accommodation before returning with their catch so that the local economy gets something from their visit :o. They are the people who fish this area the most thats for sure. i asked the CO if everyone else they checked were getting few Walleye and he confirmed that it has been really slow for them lately.

On another note fishing here in May is Tick month and the dog and I have been victims of there attacks. Every trip out you get them if your in the bush or tall grass. I started leaving him back where we are staying due to the amount of ticks he was collecting. Good thing the ticks are the size of a small Ladybug so there easy to spot. People here use flea and tick collars but that doesn't stop your dog from bringing them in the house so they can get on people. Next time I come it will be a summer month so that I get some Walleye and less ticks.

Some pics of another Pike trip

Wasaw creek

I like using this surface lure

Great paddle up the creek and non stop action. I would highly recommend a trip to the Lake of the Woods / Rainy lake areas for a differant kind of fishing trip. A portageable boat would be your best bet for the most part. You can rent bigger boats for the big lakes and there are lots of float planes available for the most remote spots. Lots of fishing lodges too.