Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Great Flood 2021  (Read 26455 times)

Morty

Re: The Great Flood 2021
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2021, 04:31:23 PM »

The whole area from the north shore south to Bellingham and east to Agassiz or Hope used to be the Fraser river delta.  12,000 years ago it was covered in Ice.  As the >1km thick glaciers retreated, and the Fraser had a much higher water flow, the glaciers ground down the coast mountains and the Fraser deposited all that sand and gravel at it's mouth, just like what it does at sandheads today.  Also as the weight of the glaciers was reduced, the whole area slowly rose out of the sea (post-glacial rebound).

At different times during the glacial melt, the Fraser River flowed to ocean via what we know as Port Moody, and at another stage through Cloverdale to Mud Bay leaving behind  the Serpentine & Nicomekl.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2021, 11:47:15 AM »

apparently a few homes on osborne road are on evacuation notice. super sad.

looks like the temperature is suppose to drop tomorrow. was 16 degrees this morning driving through delta.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2021, 12:24:50 PM »

13 degrees out here in Chiliwack today. Crazy warm. I went out to Wilson rd dyke the other day. There is a security guard there 24/7 keeping people away. So I had to settle for a Kevs dog. Yum yum.

Lunk Louie

« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2021, 03:15:43 PM »

apparently a few homes on osborne road are on evacuation notice. super sad.

looks like the temperature is suppose to drop tomorrow. was 16 degrees this morning driving through delta.

Look at the bright side....if that guy's corner home at the end of the road right hand side washes away.... you guys will be able to fish the rip rap again....without threat of bodily harm.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2021, 03:35:59 PM »

https://tc.canada.ca/en/ministerial-orders-interim-orders-directives-directions-response-letters/interim-order-no-2-respecting-certain-flooded-areas-british-columbia-2021

Recreational boating Prohibitions for flood effected areas have been updated, now include Chilliwack Lake and River.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2021, 04:14:56 PM »

An Evacuation Order has been issued for properties along Chilliwack Lake Road in FVRD Area E due to immediate danger to life and property caused by high flows and bank erosion in the Chilliwack River.

When I drove by 1.5 weeks ago, it looked like a good chunk of the field below Thompson Park was already washed away. It makes it sound like all of the field is being washed away right now.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2021, 09:22:15 PM »

Yup. I saw that. Most of Ways field has been washed away. The river now runs along the road instead of on the other side. The river must have smashed trough the rip rap protecting the farmers field. Crazy

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2022, 11:21:45 PM »

Yup. I saw that. Most of Ways field has been washed away. The river now runs along the road instead of on the other side. The river must have smashed trough the rip rap protecting the farmers field. Crazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKZ8cPvhv5s
Drone footage of the Upper Chwk River.
At 9:45 its flying downstream toward Wilson Rd where you can see damage to the dyke and homes.
Beginning at 12:50, it's flying upstream toward what used to be Way's Field. The main channel now runs through the field, and a large wooded section is...gone.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2022, 08:55:39 AM »

Looking at the footage it appears substantial parts of the river bed has been paved as in it's mostly riffle structure with not a lot of pool, run and rapid structure. Anyone who has been there have any comment? Over time more normal flows tend to return a more normal structure but it looks like some of those classic 'holes' that anglers like to line up along have filled in.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 07:59:33 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chief

« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2022, 07:19:29 PM »

Reminds me of how the upper Squamish river  has moved around over the last 30 years going from side to side of the valley and back again with lotsa braided channels away from the main flow . River will go where it wants to go  during high water events.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2022, 08:01:48 PM »

Braids & side channels are good! Lots of habitat for young fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

jim

« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2022, 07:37:17 AM »

I agree with Ralph, the river is very straight, shallow, and dirty. Tailouts seem wider and flatter. The logs jams are massive with great length and heights. Many trails, access points are destroyed. I have been trying to fish the lower river below the crossing bridge. No catches so far, no blood on the beach either.
 I think Peach road and Lickman might be disappointing to most, but I havn't tried there yet. There is a jam ruining the trail at the stump hole below Lickman, needs a good wade to get around it??? At Hopedale; the access trail has a massive jam there now, not sure if accessible or worth it. Crossing bridge; lots of rip rap missing and the rock stairs also gone.

Morty

« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2022, 09:54:37 AM »

WOW!   Moving water is powerful.

But what amazes me even more is that, before the rain fell, all that water was supported up in the air for many thousands of miles.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2022, 10:18:05 AM »

longer leaders boys lol

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2022, 10:20:52 AM »

Over time more normal flows tend to return a more normal structure

Hows that working out on the Chehalis