Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mono/Borax  (Read 2684 times)

dave c

Mono/Borax
« on: October 23, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »

Just wondering if borax dries out or makes mono brittle?  About a month ago i respooled my CP with 15lb Maxima UG. Im using 12lb Seaguar flouro leader. Yesterday i was fishing a very snaggy area and lost 3 floats as my mainline broke before leader. I always strip a few yards or so  every so often.  Today i checked my mainline and about 20 ft or so was very dry and rough to the touch. No knicks though. I checked all my guides all are fine. Any thoughts?

96XJ

Re: Mono/Borax
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 04:17:51 PM »

I’ve noticed that the baitloop and mono around the hook dries out after using the same hook for a couple of days , but never my mainline, there shouldn’t be borax on your mainline , so it shouldn’t make any difference what’s on your hook

dave c

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 04:50:35 PM »

Im not the cleanest when using roe. My reel, cork, reel handles, waders/everything is pink by days end

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »

I don't think it's the borax because it's a water softener and it's soluble. Could it be you stored your rod somewhere where it got exposed to sunlight or some place too hot?

mikeyman

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 05:19:03 PM »

Line gets more abrassision etc especially the first 20 ft or more that gets used more or stretch out etc. Sliding a float stopper without water equals friction and will mess up line. I like to pull the bad line off every so many trips. Especially when downrigger fishing ripping out clips. Quality of line makes a big difference.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 05:57:31 PM »

Borax is a toxic pesticide, harmful to people, and especially to pets. Why someone would smother their hands repeatedly with it on a regular basis is beyond me.
Smokers are especially advised to keep their cigarettes borax-free.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 06:15:00 PM »

Borax is a toxic pesticide, harmful to people, and especially to pets. Why someone would smother their hands repeatedly with it on a regular basis is beyond me.

Procure is just as toxic, does that mean you don't fish with roe?

dobrolub

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 07:08:27 PM »

Borax is a popular and safe remedy for pest control. It has helped countless dogs with mange and people with a variety of parasite problems including lice and mites.

243Pete

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »

Well I'd expect it to do some damage to fishing line as the stuff does leave my skin rather dry and cracked after a session of fishing.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 09:15:42 AM »

Procure is just as toxic, does that mean you don't fish with roe?

I like the idea of fooling the fish rather than feeding it. Hence, I don't use any kind of bait, only artificials.
Just personal preference, nothing more. The toxicity of borax has nothing to do with it.

As for how it can affect dogs, read here:
https://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/sodium-borate-safe-dogs-6019.html