Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer fishing with roe bags or chunks when water is like it is now, low?

Roe bags
- 58 (29.6%)
Chunks
- 138 (70.4%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Author Topic: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....  (Read 103841 times)

mr.p

Re: roe
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »

would it be ok if i was to buy some roe already cured and ad some borax to it for a little more cure.... so to speak. or would that be something i shouldnt do.

I do this with all the roe I buy.  Take it out of the container and put it in a fresh bag of borax.  shake shake shake.
As for actual cure, I wouldn't suggest adding it to cured/frozen roe.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2009, 08:13:48 PM »

I know people that fish dark purple roe and green roe with great success.  If the roe is milking well, and tastes and smells good, you'll probably have a good chance of success regardless of what color it is.  This said though.... things change, conditions, fishing pressure, etc.  Best to just be prepared to change as well.  Don't get too attached to one spot, lure or style and you'll be successful more often than not.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »

Can anyone recommend a place near Vancouver where you can buy some fresh roe to cure yourself?

yakideath12

« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2009, 10:08:37 PM »

Can anyone recommend a place near Vancouver where you can buy some fresh roe to cure yourself?

As mentioned on this tread, Bruce Market at Maple Ridge

find it on googlemap, easy to find.

now,its chum season, roe should be 8 dollars or more per/lb.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2009, 10:10:45 PM »

Thanks - may be up stave way this weekend will check it out,
Nick

hookme

« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2009, 01:18:39 AM »

Also try Stevestons  Public Market in richmond there selling it cheap and fresh

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »

Bruce's roe was a little "juicy" and soft, I think they may have frozen it first (don't they have to do this with food grade roe?).  Fresh roe is firmer less slimy.

How much is the Steveston's chum roe?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »

Went to Steveston today - you can get chum and some coho roe down there at the quayside straight off the boat- it's 8 / lb. There were a number of boats selling it there so you can have a look at them all to see which you like the look of. Got some of both and will cure some up over the weekend and let you know how I got on.
Nick

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2009, 11:48:15 PM »

Call me a tighter than two coats of paint, but $8 is pretty expensive and its the same as Bruce's.

wolverine

« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2009, 12:01:04 AM »

A few more tips. Raspberry Jello added to your cure will do a few things. First the gelatin in it will add a little firmness to the eggs, secondly it will make the eggs a darker red, and the sugar is also an attractant (more so for salmon than steelhead). Orange, peach, and grape Jello colors also work.

If making egg sacks you can also add a couple of colored foam "puffballs" to the sack. They add a little flotation and also help stretch your egg supply.

When tieing your egg loop leaders wind about 18 turns of line around the hook on the front, end of leader through the eye and then 6 turns around the hook and pull tight. What this does is give you more room on the hook for your egg clusters and the added wraps spread the stress over more area of the cluster. What this all means is that you won't cut through the egg cluster nearly as fast  in heavy water or if you bump bottom or swing and miss on a strike.

Bad eggs are better than no eggs. But good eggs are easy to cure and are far more productive.  

Steelhead are more sight oriented so look is of most importance. Milder cures work well and are easier to work with. Salmon, on the other hand, are chemical junkies and a hot sulfite cure works better than milder cures. Will one cure work for every fish? Yup, just not as well as a cure tailored to specie. Most cure mfgs make multiple cures and for a lot of reasons other than color. Tidewater cures that milk heavily but are not durable. Upriver cures that are don't milk as well but last longer in faster water. Cures for upriver or for salmon that have been in the river a long time (more salt in the cure as salmon crave salt the longer they are away.

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2009, 08:41:59 AM »

Thanks much for the info.   I am pretty fat fingered so the lack of need for knot tying as a definite advantage with this 'spider thread'.   Will have to see if I can find it.
Try dental floss.
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2009, 10:29:04 PM »

Spider thread is so far above and beyond the rest its unreal.  I have a spool of Magic Thread that will likely stay on the spool until the end of time.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »

A few more tips. Raspberry Jello added to your cure will do a few things. First the gelatin in it will add a little firmness to the eggs, secondly it will make the eggs a darker red, and the sugar is also an attractant (more so for salmon than steelhead). Orange, peach, and grape Jello colors also work.

If making egg sacks you can also add a couple of colored foam "puffballs" to the sack. They add a little flotation and also help stretch your egg supply.

When tieing your egg loop leaders wind about 18 turns of line around the hook on the front, end of leader through the eye and then 6 turns around the hook and pull tight. What this does is give you more room on the hook for your egg clusters and the added wraps spread the stress over more area of the cluster. What this all means is that you won't cut through the egg cluster nearly as fast  in heavy water or if you bump bottom or swing and miss on a strike.

Bad eggs are better than no eggs. But good eggs are easy to cure and are far more productive.  

Steelhead are more sight oriented so look is of most importance. Milder cures work well and are easier to work with. Salmon, on the other hand, are chemical junkies and a hot sulfite cure works better than milder cures. Will one cure work for every fish? Yup, just not as well as a cure tailored to specie. Most cure mfgs make multiple cures and for a lot of reasons other than color. Tidewater cures that milk heavily but are not durable. Upriver cures that are don't milk as well but last longer in faster water. Cures for upriver or for salmon that have been in the river a long time (more salt in the cure as salmon crave salt the longer they are away.

So far, this is consistent with everything I've learned about curing and fishing and I've experimented a bunch with the curing.  Some great new info too, thanks.

Has anyone treated a skein with a mild boric acid solution as can be done to singles to make them rubbery?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:40:42 PM by Matt »

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2009, 10:02:13 AM »

sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wanted to ask a question about spawn sacks.

Has anyone used frozen pre cured roe for spawn sacks? and should you sprinkle some cure on it after it defrosts before you tie off some sacks? Or can you cure the roe again to make clusters.