Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Polarized sunglasses ???  (Read 7426 times)

Morty

Best Polarized sunglasses ???
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:32:22 PM »

Shopping for polarized glasses to see through glare on smaller rivers. What do you recommend for quality and price?  And where to buy?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:52:27 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
Re: Best Polarized sunglasses ???
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:51:14 PM »

Maui Jim’s for me. Expensive but defiantly worth the money!  From the interior lakes, oceans,rivers to daily use driving and yard work around the property! Cheers!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:53:00 PM »

Maui Jim’s for me. Expensive but defiantly worth the money!  From the interior lakes, oceans,rivers to daily use driving and yard work around the property! Cheers!

X2

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »

If you buy expensive glasses...You will just inevitably lose or break expensive glasses. Stay cheap on glasses as this isn't bone fishing where quality really matters

Humpy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:24:40 PM »

Another vote for Maui Jims
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

salmonrook

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 04:35:07 AM »

Canadian tire has some in their fishing section called Strikeking
25-30 bucks good quality , good price

chironomidking

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 06:07:29 AM »

Used to by the name brand expensive ones but lost too many or they got scratched up.  Go to MEC and pick up a couple of them for $25-35 and then you won't cry if they get lost or damaged.  I have found very little difference between the $300 polarized and the cheaper ones.  Base your purchase on comfort and fit.  You also may want to pick up some in different shades for different weather so going expensive will set you back.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 08:28:25 AM »

X2 on cheaper ones.

I love my Columbia polarized from Costco for $50.  I have a number of even cheaper ones, $25-30.  And one pair of expensive Rayban P's now used mostly for driving.  The Raybans did also serve me well fishing for Bones and Permit in Belize.

99% of the time, I wear my cheaper ones though.  I'm brutal,  I lose them, sit on them, have them fly off my face and rattle around on the boat etc.  I'm forever finding pairs of sunglasses that I thought I lost.  Down behind the couch, left in looks nooks in the garage or shed, under car seats, boat seats, in tackle bags and boxes etc.

Maybe if I bought more expensive ones I would be more careful?  I don't know though...and I don't want to risk it.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »

My only pair of quality polarized glasses has been MJ and I am very happy with them.

Sea Run usually puts them on sale for 15% off in the summer.

Other fishing sites recommend getting the amber tinted lenses for fishing, rather than the grey tint.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »

Love my Costa del mar sunglasses. Unreal lens , and are quality built. They range from  $150-300. Check out pacific net and twine.

ShaunO

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »

If you buy expensive glasses...You will just inevitably lose or break expensive glasses. Stay cheap on glasses as this isn't bone fishing where quality really matters

Speak for yourself.  I have polarized Oakley's and I just ordered replacement lenses for them after 3 years on the water.  Most of the scratches came from wearing them on my hat and hitting overhead things.  I have cheap glasses too, but those are for friends who forgot their own. 

Invest in a good lanyard and it'll be a lot harder to lose them.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »

My only pair of quality polarized glasses has been MJ and I am very happy with them.

Sea Run usually puts them on sale for 15% off in the summer.

Other fishing sites recommend getting the amber tinted lenses for fishing, rather than the grey tint.
X2 on the amber lenses.  Actually, I have been eyeing the cycling glasses on amazon with the interchangeable lenses - they include lenses designed for night riding.  I currently have some "spiderwire" branded polarized glasses with amber lenses that are great on overcast days.

blackskull

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »

Maui Jim's for me.  Only brand that offer some without the extreme base curves of most sunglasses these days and that fit my big head.

I've lost quite a few expensive sunglasses over the years usually from accidentally knocking them off my cap.  Eventually, I finally bought the Chums Orbiter.  Now my glasses just hang off my neck first and last light and can't get knocked off accidentally.

They got a few styles.
https://www.chums.com/chums-eyewear-retainers
My only gripe with the Orbiters is they have a bit of memory and can get coiled from storage, but it's not too bad once they're on your neck.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »

Lose and break I said. Lanyard s are great till you lean over or bush whack, river fisherman who properly fish are explorers and that's the problem, Ps I'm far from anal too so I don't look after glasses like I could, ,10$ all ya need

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »

Hey cammer! What year was it that you summited Everest and K2 within a week and what glasses did you wear?

Thanks,
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"