Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enforcement At KWB Today.  (Read 13699 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Enforcement At KWB Today.
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:59:32 PM »

While cleaning up some garbage this afternoon at KWB Iwas pleased to see the CO Service and FOC out in full force including some working undercover. Tickets continue to be handed out.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
Re: Enforcement At KWB Today.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:02:14 PM »

Good glad to hear of it!

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:19:29 PM »

awesome, plenty to hand out i see absolute garbage happening everywhere on the river and im glad to hear theres tickets being handed out.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »

Do you happen to know what the offences were ? Barbed hook, retaining wild cohos, excess limits ?

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:50:57 PM »

Do you happen to know what the offences were ? Barbed hook, retaining wild cohos, excess limits ?

The offence was "fishing with a red bucket"  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »

I did not ask but the undercover work is the way to curtail many illegal activities around KWB where most of the fish taken are lined or snagged. Sorry state of affairs.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 12:22:38 PM »

I did not ask but the undercover work is the way to curtail many illegal activities around KWB where most of the fish taken are lined or snagged. Sorry state of affairs.

Word has it that DFO and Provincial CO officers will be out in full force this Thanksgiving weekend as it seems to be the time of year where the most rampant violations take place.
Lots of people snagging without licenses and the such.  ::)

Make sure you have your licenses and IDs with you, check your hooks, and write down the springs you catch as soon as you do.

salmonrook

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 01:12:37 PM »

Drove by here last weekend and it was the same , shoulder to shoulder, fishing a 25 to 30 foot strip of water ,the fish don't have a chance.As for anyone else trying to fish upstream , while the fish that do make it would likely be stressed and extra wary.
 A solution would be to close the canal altogether . It has suffered from low water conditions for the last few years .
Time for conservation !

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »

Lots of people snagging without licenses and the such.  ::)

Wait a minute - you can get a license to snag?  ;D

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:24:32 PM by Rieber »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 11:32:53 PM »

Wait a minute - you can get a license to snag?  ;D

Smarta$$.  :P

avid angler

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »

Salmonrook-

Although I don't think all fishing practices in the canal are acceptable or ethical. A closure is not the answer.

The vedder is a hatchery system. One of very few where anglers can retain salmon without any impact on future runs. It worries me to see so little education on how hatchery fisheries work, especially on the chilliwack system.

I see more and more posts on forums and social media by ignorant uninformed anglers rallying for restrictions and closures in the name of conservation. In fisheries where conservation isn't an issue. Vedder chinook both summer and fall are transplants.

Neither stock successfully produces offspring on their own. To put it simply at time of year the fry hatch their isn't suitable survival conditions for the fry.

With that said this run of fish is 100% hatchery. As long as the brood for coho and chinook is collected then literally every other fish could be harvested and it would not impact the following cycles run size. For anyone wondering more fish returning to the hatchery does not mean that they will spawn more fish. They have set brood quotas for all species. All the excess is sold as fertilizer and the hatchery does not receive any of this money.

I only bothered writing this to hopefully educate some people. Fishing opportunity for salmon has been reduced unimaginably in the last 10 years so it's downright idiotic to rally for closures and restrictions like bait bans, spot closures etc. in fisheries where catching and killing fish doesn't change a thing. There is real issues out there that majority of recreational anglers have no idea about because they don't see it with their own two eyes. Most people don't bother to learn because their too busy spiking their blood pressure freaking out about someone killing a hatchery chinook that can't even produce offspring.

I'm honestly terrified that if enough ignorant anglers continue to push to have our opportunities further reduced that the powers that be will actually listen and take away even more fisheries from us. 

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »

Nice read and informative. I was told years ago at the Capilano hatchery by an employee that they too had the excess fish gone to egg farm or fish fertilizer plants. Good use of fish they don't need. As for all those 'ignorant' fishermen pushing for closures, I am not too sure if these are really fishermen. Perhaps there are some guys who want to help the fish but don't rule out they can be PETA members or vegans disguised as online fishermen who try to troll fishing web sites to paint an ugly image of fishermen to shut down our fishing sports.  ;D ;D ;D

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 03:36:28 PM »

I thought the hatchery only used white Chinook Harrison stock yet reds can be found in this system.

jim

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »

The reds are a transplant from another rivers stock. Some Nahatlatch, or Shuswap river. Not really sure, but Dave or Chris G. prolly know.

avid angler

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 03:53:34 PM »

Red chinook are Bowron lakes stock. Same story as the whites. 100% dependant on hatchery production
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:59:35 PM by avid angler »