Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery springs  (Read 4050 times)

dave c

Hatchery springs
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:42:26 PM »

Caught a jack and mature spring today that were clipped. I wasnt aware of any spring hatchery program. Is there one for red springs as well?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Hatchery springs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:10:28 PM »

Bunch of Vedder springs are clipped.

joshhowat

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »

All vedder springs are hatchery fish.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Old Blue

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:53:23 PM »

All vedder springs are hatchery fish.
Nope.
The whites are hatchery transplants from the harrison originally

jim

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »

so the whites are spawning successfully in the Chilliwack/Vedder? I am not aware of hatchery fish spawning success. I would hope it is possible.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:30:26 PM »

Progeny from spawning white chinooks in the Vedder are minimal at best, with Sweltzer Creek probably accounting for nearly all.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:37:04 PM »

Progeny from spawning white chinooks in the Vedder are minimal at best, with Sweltzer Creek probably accounting for nearly all.
I recall seeing quite a few spawning up near Thurston Meadows in creeks and side channels maybe 15-20 years ago - don't know about survival though.  I haven't fished there in years so I don't know if they are still at it.

Old Blue

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »

I know of a few spots in the upper where there's usually a bunch of redds loaded with Whities, I found them when I didn't know any better and tried targeting them with good success but let them do their thing now and stick to other areas nearby that hold fresher fish.  Considering there was always fish in those spots for 6-7 years I'd like to think that some were from spawners and not all hatchery

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 05:40:36 PM »

Considering there was always fish in those spots for 6-7 years I'd like to think that some were from spawners and not all hatchery
For sure they spawn, but the fry produced inevitably die from starvation before they smolt, about 90 "out of the gravel days" for this stock. The donor river Harrison, is far more productive, rearing wise, than the Vedder and especially the colder upper Chilliwack River. As I said earlier, only Sweltzer Creek offers the conditions needed for rearing these genetically unique fry.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »

For sure they spawn, but the fry produced inevitably die from starvation before they smolt, about 90 "out of the gravel days" for this stock. The donor river Harrison, is far more productive, rearing wise, than the Vedder and especially the colder upper Chilliwack River. As I said earlier, only Sweltzer Creek offers the conditions needed for rearing these genetically unique fry.
Does the donor stock rear in Harrison Lake?  Or downstream of the lake? 

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »

Does the donor stock rear in Harrison Lake?  Or downstream of the lake?
I am not aware of any rearing in Harrison Lake, but conditions in the river are good, especially (in normal spring water levels) in Harrison Bay. Most likely there is some rearing in the Fraser River as well.